Saturday 22 August 2009

Rosh Hashanah 5770

We have been away again for a few days, the last short trip of the school holidays, and I have some gorgeous photographs to show you of parts of northern Israel, including Lake Kinneret, or The Sea of Galilee, and The Jordan River. These, however, will wait till my next post as I want to remind you that Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, falls on September 19-20 this year, and is therefore rapidly approaching.
The festival is full of special symbols and customs. On Rosh Hashanah we eat apples dipped in honey. The apples remind us of the roundness of the year and express our hope that the coming year will be fruitful. The honey represents the wish for a sweet year. Pomegranates are also an important symbol. The 613 seeds of the pomegranate represent the number of good deeds which we have tried to do over the past year and should do during the new year.
Here at 'Handmade in Israel' I have been preparing some cards showing all these special symbols and they are available in my shop now. They come in a set of five. Each card is hand cut and no two cards are exactly the same.
Rosh Hashanah is a great time to catch up with friends and relatives and let them know about all your news and any upcoming events, so please drop by to order some cards now.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Hello Lisa
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I love these cards they are so bright. They look so lovely they've prompted me to think about getting organised with some supplies to have a go at making some christmas cards! Have you ever been to Lincoln Imperial Tea Shop on Steep Hill? When I get my photos sorted I'm going to post later on a lovely afternoon I spent round Steep hill and the Bailgate, and the lovely teas I brought home from the fab shop. Its an aladdins cave! Can't believe I've only just discovered it!
Take care
Sally

Inna D. said...

You card are so cute and beautiful! Thanks for commenting in my blog!

Shareaholic