Tuesday 11 August 2009

Run rabbit - run rabbit - Run! Run! Run!

A very dear friend of mine, who is currently living abroad for a couple of years, visited Israel for a few weeks this summer and she wanted to purchase a few of my papercut pictures to decorate her kids bedrooms back in their 'temporary' home. Her boys each have their favourite animal. A little dog was quickly chosen, and a request put in for a cat. Her eldest son really wanted a rabbit, an animal which, for some strange reason, I had not illustrated before, though it did not pose a problem to me.
A few rough sketches later, I came up with a picture that my own boys love! I thought it would be interesting to show you the sketches I made and how I break the image down into simple shapes to make a papercut picture. I tried a few different poses and, wanting to veer away from it being too 'cute', I settled on the little sketch of a rabbit with a big bushy tail.
Below you can see the finished piece, before it was framed. My friends kids were delighted with their pictures, and I am thrilled to know that some of my work is going to be hanging on a bedroom wall in India!

3 comments:

Cara said...

Lisa, Love the rabbits! Your blog is so cheerful. Loved your inspiring comments to the EtsyGreetings Team :o)
Cara

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Thanks for sharing your design process Lisa! Your rabbit is very cute - love the facial expression. I recently tried some paper cutting of my own - it is fun!

Laurie said...

Wow -- thank you for showing us how you do it. The rabbit is superb!

Shareaholic