Thursday 7 January 2010

Facebook, make-up and a spot of baking

I know that it's not such fun to actually live with after a few days, but I am really enjoying looking at all the photos of the snow falling in parts of the world other than my own! Here in Israel the weather is decidedly springlike today, which is obviously very pleasant but not so great for our small country with it's massive water shortage. Anyhow, that's a whole other story. In the meantime I have some new cards to show you and a spot of baking too.
The cards above were very straightforward requests for, from top to bottom, a friend celebrating a 40th birthday, birthday greetings for Grandma and a birthday card for a teenage girl who is into the "usual teenage girl stuff – facebook, make-up etc."
I've also been doing a little baking recently. The Victoria Sponge Cake, above, was greeted with mirth by my husband who announced that no-one makes them anymore and that it was a cake made in school home economics classes many years ago. He may well be right but it was a light and buttery cake and we enjoyed it all the same! The carrot cake, below, was requested by my youngest son. He had enjoyed listening to a story somehow based on carrots in his library class at school and came home with a recipe sheet that he had decorated in the class. He was very keen to help me make the cake so that he could taste it, though of course when it actually came down to it, I ended up making the cake by myself. It came out beautifully, although was enjoyed more by the adults in the family than the kids. I wrapped a slice in some foil and put it in my son's school bag to take to the school librarian as a bit of fun, but of course he forgot about it and my delicious cake was returned home somewhat flatter at the end of the school day!

4 comments:

dottycookie said...

I make Victoria sponges still - more often than is good for my waistline but we love them!

Sarah said...

Never have I made a Victoria sponge, but we did just finish the double decker carrot cake I made for New Year's. It called for 3 cups of finely grated carrots, and my food processor is broken! I spent some quality time with my hand grater.

Your card for grandma is just precious!

Christie Cottage said...

Cute cards and the Victoria Spongecake looks delicious!



http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

LizzieJane said...

My mother would make a Victoria Sandwich cake for tea on Sunday. I haven't made one in ages. Thanks for reminding me. We have no snow either but it is still early winter so who knows what might happen. I know England seems to be getting more than their fair share this year. Have a wonderful weekend Lisa.
x

Shareaholic