Thursday 15 April 2010

Surfin' ... Israel

Not long ago one of my most loyal customers called and asked me for a customised Bar Mitzvah card for a young man who is crazy about surfing. She also wanted cards to commemorate the occasion for his parents and grandparents, and then told me that her daughter wanted another whole set too! Because I knew that the cards were all going to be sent to the same people, I could not repeat any designs, so I really had to put on my 'Bar Mitzvah' thinking cap this time!
The large customised cards were easy. My client described how the boy in question has long blond hair which is always tied back in a ponytail. Therefore it was easy to come up with a humorous design showing a blond haired boy on his surfboard, of course wearing the requisite kippah, or skullcap, because it was his Bar Mitzvah! A highly unlikely combination of clothing I know, but fun to illustrate all the same. The second card showed a silhouette of a person on a board, riding the waves, with the sun setting on the horizon. This time I added the number 13 to make the card applicable for a Bar Mitzvah celebration.
The photo below shows all the cards that the various members of the family received. For the grandparents I came up with traditional designs with Stars of David on them, a generally recognized symbol of Jewish identity and Judaism. The parents received a card once again showing their blond ponytailed son, this time holding a Torah scroll, and another card, a design which I have shown on my blog previously, showing a Torah scroll, a Tallit, the Jewish prayer shawl, which a boy is obligated to wear in the synagogue from the day of his Bar Mitzvah and onwards, and a kippah.
My wonderful client has just called me for yet more cards and reported back that the whole family "loved the cards".Many, many thanks to everyone who voted for my Easter cards in the Etsy Easter item voter. Unfortunately they didn't quite make it to that elusive Etsy front page, but I did receive quite a substantial number of votes. Thank you all for the encouragement you gave me and the vote of confidence in my cards.

5 comments:

Babamoon said...

i just adore your cards! the surfer is very cute!

Creative Minds said...

Those are super cute! I love how creative you are! Your cards are truly one of a kind!

Linda B said...

Lisa, these are fabulous card, in addition to your regularly terrific work.

Linda B.

LizzieJane said...

I love the surfer to. Who am I kidding they are all beautiful!
x

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the surfer cards - perfect for a teenage boy! I am continually amazed at all the different designs you can come up with.

Shareaholic