Monday 30 May 2016

Ethan's Album

Ethan celebrated his Bar Mitzvah in the middle of May. His Mum asked me to create an album that all their guests could sign at the start of his Bar Mitzvah weekend. Ethan's various hobbies include reading, playing video games on his Samsung Galaxy tablet, maths, dogs, marine biology, robotics and the self-defence system Krav Maga. Oh, and Mum pointed out to me that he wears a hat ALL the time!
I have shown Ethan wearing his favourite black and yellow hat, with a Dalmatian next to him and with his tablet and a book in his arms. He is wearing a black t-shirt, the colour he wears for Krav Maga. Behind him is a robot, to illustrate his interest in robotics, and a fish and some seaweed, representing marine biology. A small pile of books next to him includes a maths book, one of Ethan's favourite subjects.
The silver lettering spells out his name, the words Bar Mitzvah, his parasha (the Torah portion that is read on Shabbat) and the date of his Bar Mitzvah. A Star of David, or Magen David, in two corners adds a Jewish element.
As well as decorating the cover of the album, I also embellished five pages inside the book. The first page showed a small pile of books, since Ethan is such a keen reader. Next I pictured his Samsung tablet and his favourite video game, Fallout 4, followed by a page that displayed some colourful maths symbols. Mum had initially told me that Ethan's favourite dogs were Dalmatians but, as I was working on the album, the family got their own dog, a Weimaraner that they have called Luna. Instead of another Dalmatian, I crafted a cute blue-eyed puppy just like Luna to go on one of the inside pages. Finally, the last page was devoted to Ethan's interest in marine biology, below. I created some unusual-looking fish and some seaweed, and cut some tiny bubbles to create the impression of water.
"[The album] looks lovely!" Mum wrote to me. "Ethan loves it." 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the details that undoubtedly are a part of of Ethan's life, the robot, the dog, and the books! Didn't realize that you don't only make cards but also albums, which must be much more work! You do it so well! Many thanks for sharing this with SEASONS - I love your share! Wishing you a great week!

Miss Val's Creations said...

It came out fantastic Lisa! There was so much to work with since this young man has so many interests!

DeniseinVA said...

Delightful creations Lisa. I am sure very happily received and will be treasured for years to come. These handmade treasures are very special. I have a few I have been given in the past, and I know how I feel about them :)

likeschocolate said...

Your doing such a great job! Love all the detail.
http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/05/a-time.html

The House with the Blue Door said...

I'm not surprised he loved it - all his favourite things, and so beautifully presented. I love the robot and the dalmation.
Cathy x

Sharon Wagner said...

The dalmatian must have been so fun to make. Good job!

handmade by amalia said...

Nice! Eithan must have been very pleased indeed.
Amalia
xo

Denise Kiggan said...

Lovely!

Shareaholic