Sunday 24 February 2019

Fabulous at 50

Marcel's mum asked me to make a 50th birthday card for her son. He is a massive Liverpool F.C. supporter, she told me, so I created a paper version of their red home shirt, added a red and white striped scarf, a football and the Liverpool crest. The famous crest includes a single Liver bird (an imaginary cross between an eagle and a cormorant), the iron curlicues of the Shankly Gates, including the lyrics of the club's anthem 'You'll Never Walk Alone', and the year the club was formed. It also features the eternal flames which were added in memory of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. Recent years have seen the club maintain the same logo officially but revert to using the more simplified Liver bird logo on their shirts. A big yellow number 50 marks Marcel's age.
My friend Jane is into fitness. Seriously into fitness. She is a personal trainer by profession, so fitness is her life. What else was there to put on her 50th birthday card but dumbbells, medicine balls and weights of all shapes and sizes?
Jane's husband sent me a collection of photos of his wife in action. I picked out a photo of her lifting weights and recreated it for her birthday card, adding some of the equipment she uses around her.
Though I really tried, this card doesn't do her justice. She looks amazing at 50!
I wanted to make Jane a birthday card as well, but didn't want it to be too similar to the special card her husband had requested. I made a papercut card for her instead, cutting her name and age by hand from white stock, and then lining it with a bright orange paper inlay.

9 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Fun cards and very colorful! Have a great week #allseasons

Miss Val's Creations said...

They are all fabulous. The weights must have been fun to cut. Something very different. :)

VeggieMummy said...

They're all fantastic, but I especially like the card you made for Jane. That zingy background really makes the letters pop. I imagine you have to be super accurate though or every slight mistake will show. xx

italiafinlandia said...

Both are very cute!

Anne said...

My husband would love a football card like this, only a different team. I love your friend's cards too.
#mmbc

junieper2 said...

The Liverpool crest is quite intricate - am always amazed how you can make tiny objects so recognizable at first sight - an intricate skill!
When people see the card of Jane, it looks pretty simple, but when you give the description the process of getting there - it's not to simple! Kudos to you for doing all these special things for your customers, Lisa! And I appreciate you sharing these experiences with All Seasons! Have an accomplished and enjoyable week!

handmade by amalia said...

Another winner, Lisa. It seems that nobody ever outgrows their love of football :-)
Amalia
xo

Jayne said...

How fab that you captured all of the little details from your friends' photo. I am really liking these coloured background cards Lisa, they are brilliant. x

Have a lovely weekend and thanks for sharing with #MMBC. x

Sharon said...

Happy 50th birthday! I love the card your friend Jane made!

Shareaholic