Sunday 3 February 2019

Sixteen

My youngest son recently turned sixteen. It seems like only yesterday that his big brother was talking about driving lessons and his Tzav Rishon, or the "First Draft Notice," from the Israeli army, and now it's his younger brother's turn. He too can open his first bank account and will receive his "First Draft Notice" within a few months. He can also learn to drive. I've just about got used to his older brother driving. It can't really be his turn now, can it?
Driving lessons here in Israel are an expensive business! Students are required to take a minimum of 28 lessons with an instructor before they can take the Mivchan Shlita, the practical driving test. Therefore driving lessons were suggested as his birthday present and this year's birthday card simply had to reflect that. I have shown my son holding an Israeli L-plate in one hand. The plate shares the general design of Israeli information signs in its square form and blue background. On the blue background is a white triangle pointing upwards, with the black Hebrew letter "ל" in it, from the Hebrew למידה‎ - "Learning".
In his other hand he is holding his grey MUN folder. MUN, or Model United Nations, is an academic activity in which students can learn about diplomacy, international relations, and the United Nations. MUN involves and teaches participants speaking, debating, and writing skills, in addition to critical thinking, teamwork, and leadership abilities. My youngest son, though a bright kid, is not the most serious of students but he really enjoys the MUN conferences. He is even willing to dress the part and will put on a white shirt and tie for the occasion!
Though we are a rather football-obsessed family (Mister Handmade in Israel and my eldest son are Arsenal mad and I have become a rather keen follower of Hull City A.F.C.) my youngest son wasn't so bothered until recently. In the last couple of years his interest in football has grown. Unlike his peers, he has picked differently from the more usual Manchester United or FC Barcelona! His favourite teams are our local Ironi Modi'in F.C. and Hull City A. F. C., so I added the team crests to the card along with a traditional black and white football. Unfortunately his Xiaomi phone had to appear on the card as well. He uses it rather a lot!
On a more positive note, my son is still an avid reader (regular followers of my blog will know that I have added books to many of his birthday cards over the years), so I added his Kindle, his preferred choice for reading these days. The pencils represent the hours he spends drawing in his bedroom.
Finally, he has almost given up on asking us to get him a dog (I know, I know!) and has reverted to begging for a hamster, the pet we used to have when the boys were younger. You can see a tiny little hamster peeking out from under the Israeli L-plate. A big green number 16 marks his age.
Happy Birthday to my creative, smart yet stubborn and rather lazy sixteen year old! We all enjoyed the Agents Escape Room that we did together on your birthday (we escaped in the nick of time with some assistance) and the sushi afterwards was delicious!

* This post has been shared on All Seasons, {nifty thrifty sunday}, Happiness is Homemade, Creative Mondays, The Good. The Random. The Fun., Amaze Me Monday, You're the Star Blog Hop, Made By You Monday, The Keeping It Real Link Up and {wow me} wednesday.

17 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Kids do grow up fast. Congratulations on the 16th birthday of your youngest. No pets? Get the guy a hamster for Pete's sake. I grew up with a dog and as a kid kept asking for a cat which my mother always refused. Nope you have a dog! We did occasionally have a bird in a cage too. Pets do add a lot to life but that really is your decision. As usual, love your card and creativity

Miss Val's Creations said...

Happy birthday to your young man! 28 driving lessons does sound like a lot but I think it is a good idea. Those lessons will stay with with the kids forever (hopefully). Too many people are texting and driving here leading to many deaths. On a happy note, I love the touch of the hamster! Much easier to care for than a dog.

VeggieMummy said...

Happy birthday to your baby! I remember when my girls started driving - I used to sit at home listening for the sound of sirens! Does that mean he has a hamster?! xx

likeschocolate said...

Hope he does great with his lessons. I love the tiny hamster. Too cute. Have a great week.

betty-NZ said...

Once again, you have blown me away with your talent! I know any recipients of your cards feel very special :)

Tamar SB said...

mazal tov to him!

italiafinlandia said...

Happy Birthday to your big boy!

Kim Carberry said...

Happy birthday to your son. What a great card.
In September my teen will be getting driving lessons for her birthday. Eek!

junieper/Jesh StG said...

Happy birthday to your son - tell him his hair looks cool! Don't worry about the lazy part - that will change during his army time or whenever he gets married (haha, you probably are not ready for the last part yet!)
Fun that you shared this family celebration with All Seasons!
Have a great week, Lisa:)

Cheryl said...

Happy birthday to your 16 year old. I love how you get so much of his likes and current-state-of-play on his card. Very clever. An escape room is on my list to do one day. They do sound fun. I'm dreading the driving lessons starting. My eldest is 16, but young for her year, so she has friends that have started taking the test already. Slow down time please. #MMBC

Aritha V. said...

Happy Birthday to your handsome boy! “May he live until 100 like he is feeling 16!” Great photos.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

They grow up so fast! He sounds like a fine young man, with wide interests ...just as he should be at that age. And as always, your card reflects them beautifully. (I share his preferred reading method...I love my Kindle!)

Chickenruby said...

Happy Birthday to yiur son. I love your cards, they're so personalised and make a great gift in itself #keepingitreal

Anne said...

Happy Birthday to your son. A fabulous personal card as usual. You've fitted such a lot on there. I think 28 lessons is a good idea, but they can be expensive.

Jayne said...

Happy birthday to your boy! They grow up so fast don't they?!

I hope he enjoys his driving lessons. :)

Thanks for sharing with #MMBC. x

Crummy Mummy said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like you all had a fab day #MMBC

Debbie said...

Hi Lisa, they grow up so fast! I've just written about my daughters' lack of interest in learning to drive although we 'gave' her driving lessons as her 18th birthday present over a year ago! The Greek system sounds similar to yours, except the minimum amount of driving lessons is only 20... MUN sounds like a great subject that is bound to come in useful in the future... I hear that goldfish make low maintenance pets!... I hope he had a great birthday.

Thank you for sharing with #keepingitreal.

xx

Shareaholic