Monday 24 January 2022

A Singing Savta

This special savta (savta or safta is the Hebrew word for grandmother) was turning 70 and her daughter asked me to make her a card. It actually turned out that this card was pretty meaningful for me. Savta's 70th birthday was on the exact same date that my mum would have turned 80. I couldn't make my own mum a special card, so it was my pleasure to be able to make one for another much loved mum...
Mum's prominent features are her glasses, her smile and dangly earrings, her daughter told me. I suspect that I may have made her earrings a little bit too dangly actually, but they made me smile, so it seemed a shame to trim them! Themes on the card should cover swimming, walking and (lots of) grandchildren, her daughter wrote, adding "if you want one more, music/singing" too.
I have shown Savta happily singing, with outstretched arms. Some music notes surround her. To her right are some walking boots, a swimming costume, swim cap and goggles. On Savta's left I added a sparkly silver number 70, to mark her special birthday. My customer told me that Savta has 11 grandchildren, which is of course wonderful but too many to fit on one card! Instead I created three little faces and added the word "savta" on a banner in front of them. The heart shows how much they all love her!
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

13 comments:

Kim Carberry said...

Aww! How lovely for you to make this card. So sorry about your mum. Fab card x

Michele Morin said...

What a sweet collision of dates!

Ruth said...

Such a beautiful card! I love how you have captured Savta's bright smile. She sounds like a lovely lady!

Tamar SB said...

What a fun Savta!!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

It's wonderfult that you had such a meaningful moment making this card. My mother died 10 days before her 72nd birthday. I think your post reminds us all that we must treasure the people we love even if it's in your memories. #MMBC

Joanne said...

She sounds like such a fun grandmother! What a sweet card.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It's so amazing how you capture each lucky recipient's special traits and personalities.

VeggieMummy said...

So sorry about your mum. It must have been a really poignant moment making this card. The swimming stuff, walking boots and musical notes could have been made for me! xx

thisiswhereitisat said...

Looks lots of fun x #mmbc

hels said...

The best thing about this savta (me) turning 70 was having beautiful grandchildren to make speeches and give presents. And Sallie is right about special qualities being captured.

Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) said...

A beautiful card for a very special (and fun-looking) Savta. I can imagine it must have felt quite bittersweet to make given your mum's 80th birthday would have been the same day. I get the impression all your cards are made with love but perhaps this one more so. Love all the little details as always. #MischiefandMemories

italiafinlandia said...

Very nice card, as your usual.
Thanks God I still have my mother. She is considerably old. 😉

Miss Val's Creations said...

Fun card for such a beloved mom and grandmother! The long dangling earrings are wonderful.

Shareaholic