Monday 31 January 2022

Nineteen

Remember last year, when my youngest son turned 18 and celebrated the day at home with his mum and dad because we were in lockdown? Well, this year he turned 19 and spent the day - and the rest of the week - in the company of the Israel Defence Forces (IDF), where he is currently doing his compulsory service. He came home at the weekend though and we were able to spoil him a little bit then.
My youngest son enlisted back in August and is now a tank driver. The army is pretty much his life for the moment. I wanted to make his birthday card different to his Giyus Kal ("Have an easy call-up") card. This time I showed him with short hair. The army requires him to keep his curls short and even length, without layering. He is holding his rifle and there is a tank behind him. I also included the club badge of our local football team, Ironi Modi'in F.C. Even though he is somewhat preoccupied these days, my son still manages to keep an eye on what they are doing and even managed to get to a game recently. Finally, I showed my son against a stunning orange sunset. He's got a good eye for photography and has sent us a few great shots of tanks in the desert since his service began.
My son loved his card and squirrelled it off to his room to place it on the shelf next to his Giyus Kal card. He did point out, in the nicest way possible, that I had given him an M4 rifle whilst he actually has an M16. Now, I am completely out of my comfort zone when it comes to guns! I know nothing about them. In order to make the birthday card as accurate as possible, I whatsapped Mister Handmade in Israel to check which gun our son has. I blame him!
I now know that the M16 has a different length barrel to an M4 and the carrying handle is a different shape too. Will I remember this for another time? Probably not. I was rather proud of my efforts anyway!
My next mistake was with the tank. Apparently I cut out an artillery tank and not the type of tank my son drives. My tank was actually a great improvement on the one I had put on his Giyus Kal card but, once again I was educated on things I have no desire to know more about. An artillery tank has light armour and a bigger gun in a turret to fire at far away targets. Tanks have heavy armour and a shorter gun in a turret to fight other tanks.
My son loved his card anyway and the sherry cake, made by Mister Handmade in Israel, which is his favourite...
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs
My Random Musings
JENerally Informed

14 comments:

Shiju Sugunan said...

Certainly a beautiful card despite the minor anomalies. I think compulsory service is a great thing to make the youth more disciplined. Also a must have for Israel which is surrounded by hostile neighbors. Birthday wishes to your handsome son!

Anne said...

Belated Happy birthday to your son. It must be difficult with him off doing things that you'd rather not know about. I understand the necessity but as a Mother it must be difficult, never mind the difficulty of getting tanks and rifles right!

Kim Carberry said...

Happy birthday to your son.
What a wonderful card and well done your son. That did make me chuckle about him pointing out about the wrong gun and tank being on the card. At least you know now. lol x

Ruth said...

So good that you got to spend some time with your son over the weekend. Happy birthday to him and all the best as he continues his compulsory service.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Happy Birthday to your son. He'a handsome young man. He looks so young until you see him in a uniform. But then at my age I think they all look young! #MMBC

Tamar SB said...

Happy birthday, Gadi!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy 19th birthday to Gadi! I am always impressed how you capture the expression of the person you make your cards for so well. I'm sure I would not know the tank or rifle one form another either. What an experience your son is having. May he always be safe!

Joanne said...

That made me a chuckle a bit as I too would have had no idea on the different guns or tanks... and it reminds me a bit of when my oldest tries to teach me the differences between some of the heavy equipment he drives. I think they all look pretty much the same (until he points out the differences).

thisiswhereitisat said...

Happy birthday to your son x #mmbc

hels said...

Kol hakavod to your handsome son. Every teen should do his three years of service, and religious exemptions are unfair. But I loathe guns and would rather see images of him doing all the other tasks he has to do each day.

Jayne said...

What a fab card! I hope Gadi had a fab birthday. I've even learned a little about guns and tanks whilst here. I wouldn't have had a clue either! ;) x

Catherine said...

This is a fabulous card - even if your gun and tank aren't correct. It's the thought that counts :o)

#MMBC

Miss Val's Creations said...

Fantastic details Lisa! I wish we never needed armies though but they are important.

Emille (Jesh) said...

The Blue Jay is cute and daring! We had several in our yard of the forest, but only heard their loud chatter - they never came very close to the house. Your 19 year old looks like a soldier, but he has the smile of his mama:):) A happy birthday to him!

Shareaholic