Wednesday 3 January 2024

Twenty Two

I never totally stopped creating after my youngest son died but it was hard for me to create "happy" pieces when I was, and still am, feeling so sad. Mister Handmade in Israel and I both decided that we wanted to forget our birthdays but our eldest son, Nadav, felt that he wanted to mark his day. In that case, he needed a special card made by mum!
He is now a year older but I am sharing his cards in consecutive order. His 23rd birthday card will follow soon.
Nadav had not long before discovered a love for diving and spent his 22nd birthday in Eilat, Israel's southernmost city, with his lovely girlfriend Hila. They had both done introductory dives a few months earlier.
Diving in Eilat offers the perfect way to explore the world-class coral reefs of the Red Sea off Eilat's shores. Eilat and the surrounding region of the Red Sea is one of the world's best diving regions and a great way to see the wonders of the underwater world, the coral, the marine life and more.
My card shows Nadav in his black wetsuit and flippers. He is surrounded by the beautiful blue water and colourful coral of the Red Sea. Some friendly fish have come to say hello too. The observant amongst you might notice the red Arsenal crest floating next to him in the water. As I have mentioned many times before, Nadav is obsessed with the Premier League football club and their crest just had to appear on his card. A big yellow number 22 marks his age.
His birthday card was spirited away in Hila's bag and presented to Nadav on the morning of his birthday. "Thank you very much" he wrote to me. "I like the card!"
PoCoLo
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

15 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Wow, what a fantastic card. I only tried diving once and have a scar on my right thigh to show for it! I think I cut it on a rock, although I didn't notice it at the time. That cake looks really yummy. Best wishes for 2024. xx

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a special card to celebrate your son's birthday! Very creative to recreate his special love for diving! Many blessings to you! Happy New Year!

Joanne said...

That is a beautiful card and I love that it was a special birthday surprise for him while he was away diving; a perfect way to remember his trip!

R's Rue said...

What a wonderful card.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Kim Carberry said...

Sending love and hugs to you.
What a wonderful card. I love how you always make the cards so personal. x

Anne said...

I love the card and I'm sure Nadav did too. Don't ever stop creating.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

It's good for you to create as it's part of who you are. Lovely card and what a cake!

hels said...

Diving in blue seas, along with the corals and sea life, make a magical world for art. Even more so if your son actually loves diving. Perfect 👌

Catherine said...

I love this card and the diver looks so much like your son!

#MMBC

NCSue said...

Despite your sorrow you came through with a lovely card for Nadov. I know that meant a lot to him.
Yesterday marked the 2 year anniversary of the death of my husband. Your caring response meant the world to me then. Your husband kindly prayed for him as well. Know that I will pray for Gadi, and for you to be able to find your sorrow lightening from time to time. May you find moments of peace and moments of happiness in the year to come.
Shalom, dear friend.

magiceye said...

That's a lovely card!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Your creation shines. Happy 22nd, Nadav!

fancyingfrance.com said...

Such a beautiful card, Lisa! My youngest son took up diving a few years ago, when he went to volunteer on a shark conservation project, on an island near Fiji. However, he hasn't maintained this activity. The UK isn't particularly great for diving!

Jayne said...

Another beautiful creation Lisa. I hope Nadav had a lovely birthday. Sending lots of love. xxx

Anonymous said...

That’s a beautiful card for Nadav. I’m sure he must have appreciated all the personal touches. Sending warm hugs xx
#mmbc

Shareaholic