Monday 18 March 2024

Kayla's Album

I made a sign-in book for Kayla's brother Jack back in March 2022. In 2023 their mum got in touch again to see if I was available to make another book, this time for her daughter.
The theme of the Bat Mitzvah is "what candles and light mean in Judaism", mum told me. Kayla loves the sunset at the beach. The candle lighting theme came about because of that.
Mum sent me a few photos of Kayla lighting the Shabbat candles by a window and left it to me to decide which was the best way to illustrate her daughter. She also asked if it was possible to add Kayla's Bat Mitzvah invitation to the design too. She originally wanted me to leave the date off the cover because it was already on the invitation, but the text was so very small that I suggested adding it in gold lettering as well.
Blonde hair and blue eyed Kayla is wearing the dress she planned to wear for her Bat Mitzvah. She is lighting the silver Shabbat candles by a window. A card showing the blessing that we make when lighting the candles is next to the candles.
It reads as follows:
Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the universe, Who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to light the Shabbat lamp.
Shabbat candles are candles lit on Friday evening before sunset to usher in the Jewish Sabbath. It is customary to light two candles. I also light a candle for each of my children and am currently also lighting a third one for the Israeli hostages in Gaza, who are unable to light their own candles.
Even though the walls in the photos I received were white, I suggested making them a bolder colour to make Kayla stand out. I chose this flame yellow colour because of Kayla's chosen theme of candles and light.
I decorated several pages inside Kayla's book too. The first page shows her doing gymnastics, a hobby which she practices four times a week! She is wearing a black leotard and black shorts.
Next, I showed some of Kayla's friends. Mum said that Kayla's friends are important to her but that she also loves the television sitcom "Friends", so I added the show's logo as well.
Kayla also loves Netflix, so the following page shows it on the screen of her phone. She is a keen member of Bnei Akiva, the largest religious Zionist youth movement in the world, with over 125,000 members in 42 countries. I showed the logo of the movement, which is made up of the Luchot (two stone tablets representing the Torah), wheat, an olive branch and a scythe and pitchfork. Kayla likes to be with her friends at Bnei Akiva, so I added a couple more friends too.
Pepper the family dog makes an appearance on the final page.
Kayla's mum wrote "The book is amazing. Thank you very much."
Just like Elisha, Kayla's Bat Mitzvah celebration was planned before 7th October, when terrorist attacks killed approximately 1,200 Israelis (and more have died in subsequent operations in Gaza and against Hezbollah). War broke out in Israel. I hope that Kayla was still somehow able to mark her Bat Mitzvah later that same month.
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

14 comments:

hels said...

Excellent! When I was bat mitzvah age, no fuss was made over the girls like was being made over the boys. All I had was a family dinner and one speech. I hope Kayla realises the importance of this one, very special day in her life. She looks excited.

Tamar SB said...

I love the skirt!!

Joanne said...

Another beautiful work of art!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Beautiful cover and the pages are fantastic too.

-Soma

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Beautiful cover and the decorated page are so wonderful.

-Soma

Kim Carberry said...

What a beautiful album. I love all of the pages including Kayla's interests.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I'm so happy you're sharing cards again. Your cards are always so beautiful and unusual.

VeggieMummy said...

Your cards and guest books must be such treasured items. This one is another keeper.
What a thoughtful idea to light a Shabbat candle for the Israeli hostages who are unable to light their own at the moment. xx

NCSue said...

Fantastic! Love these!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/03/looking-forward-to-seeing-sights-like.html. Have a great week!

Richard said...

Another lovely album

Aritha V. said...

Lisa, this is really beautiful. So many details. I'm glad you're sharing some facts about the Sabbath candles and that you're lighting an extra one. Know that I pray every day for those who are held hostage by Hamas. Lots of love.

Aritha

Jennifer Wise said...

This is just gorgeous! You have done an amazing job. I have done things like this in digital books for awhile but never paper like this. Wow! This will be cherished forever. Visiting from the Crazy Little Love Birds link party.

Stephanie said...

I just adore your card creations! I love visiting and seeing your beautiful cards. Thank you for sharing with us at The Crazy Little Lovebirds link party #31.

Stephanie said...

Lisa, I wanted to let you know that your post will be featured tomorrow at The Crazy Little Lovebirds link party #32. I hope you will join us again. :)

Shareaholic