Monday 1 July 2024

50 Years of Incredible You

A customer wrote to me back in January 2023 to say that that her husband's 50th birthday was coming up. She knew that I wasn't working at full pace and wanted to know if I knew of anyone else who makes cards like I do. Of course, I don't! My cards are unique. I quickly realised that nice cards were important to this customer, so I decided to make one for her husband's special birthday.
My customer told me that her husband is into hiking and asked me if I could include hiking sticks, hiking boots and mountain views on the card. He also loves going on safari into the African wilderness and spotting wild animals. Leopard, springbok, cheetah, rhinoceros and elephant were the animals mentioned. Finally, she told me that her husband enjoys good Italian coffee.
I decided to show my customer's husband with a hot cup of coffee in one hand and a coffee pot in the other hand. Behind him are the mountain views that he loves so much. To his right is a springbok, a type of antelope found mainly in south and southwest Africa. The name "springbok" comes from the Afrikaans words spring ("jump") and bok ("antelope" or "goat"). It is the national animal of South Africa and has been adopted as a nickname or mascot by several South African sports teams, most famously by the national rugby union team.
On his left I added some walking books and hiking sticks, and an elephant, another of the animals from my customer's list. A big red number 50 marks his age.
"Thank you so much. It's great!" my customer wrote to me.
* This post has been shared on The Good. The Random. The Fun.
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

15 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Your cards are so special and it sounds like brings a lot of joy for those who gives them and those who receive them. I love all the attention to detail and enjoyed being guided though it with you. I guess I don't pay attention to detail because what I saw was a man with the coffee and the big 50- until you mentioned it I didn't notice the mountains, the hiking poles etc. So clever!! Yashir KO-ACH to keep doing this work and spreading joy at these difficult times!!

Catherine said...

I love this card! It's interesting you don't know anybody else who creates cards like this. Are you self taught or have you done courses?

#MMBC

Handmade in Israel said...

Hi Catherine. I have a BA in Graphic Design and I worked for several years in that field. My style is something that I developed on my own over time. I hope it is unique!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

You are unique, and your cards are very special. I'm glad you were able to help this lady. I hope you have a good week. #MMBC

Kim Carberry said...

Ahh! Your cards are so unique, I have never seen any others with so much detail and personalisation. What a fantastic card. I bet the customer loved it.

hels said...

If a person loves hiking, exotic animals and African tours, your cards can be full of splendid colour and action. But a person who spends their life watching TV will not have as interesting a card to put on their wall.

VeggieMummy said...

No wonder they were thrilled with the card; it's fantastic. So personal and full of incredible attention to detail. You won't find one of those at W.H.Smith's! :O) xx

Anne said...

I don't know anyone else who makes cards like you either. I had a go at card making myself once and found it all so fiddly, messy and I really lacked talent. So, I'll leave it to the professionals like you. As for this card, all I can say is the usual, it's wonderful and so unique and full of amazing detail.

Joanne said...

I don't know of anyone else that makes cards like you do either; they really are such unique and individualized pieces of art. I'm sure your customer was thrilled that you decided to make the card for her.

Slabs said...

Beautiful and very thoughtful and one of a kind cards.
Way back (read more time on hands) I embroidered cards and loved it. I should make time to do it again.
Found your post at Crazy Little Lovebirds. My entries this week are numbered #2+3
Please join and share your posts with us https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

Lalka Crochetka said...

I love your designs and here is your next excellent work! Beautiful and unique as a person you made it for <3

Jayne said...

You've created all of your customer's requests perfectly. But then again, you always do! Another beautiful card. x

Tamar SB said...

That is so lovely!

Stephanie said...

Great detail that you added to his card. Your cards are wonderful. Thank you for sharing at The Crazy Little Lovebirds link party #45.

PaulaShort said...

This is beautiful. Your cards are so uniquely you. I've never know anyone who makes cards like you do. You've got your own special touch, your creations are stunning.
Visiting today from Crazy Little Love Birds 45 #19,20&21.