Sunday 21 November 2010

Butterflies, Books and Balloons

There seem to have been a few changes made with Blogger since I was last here and I am struggling a little bit with photo placement today. I really hope that my explanations match the relevant photos!
Some time back I received a request for a birthday card for a sweet little girl who was turning 2. She’s loves butterflies, books, balloons, dragons and fish - all delightful images to play with on a child's birthday card. The main thing I noticed when I received a photo of the birthday girl was her wispy blonde hair. Her Mum obviously likes to tease it into two little bunches on top of her head and I enjoyed matching the 'hairdo' on her card. Mum seemed pleased with the card when she picked it up and I hope that Abby was too. Most importantly I hope that the fish that she received as a birthday present - the reason for the presence of a fish on her card - is still swimming happily around it's bowl!
Abby's Dad was also due to celebrate a birthday around the same time. He turned 32, is getting his Ph.D in Political Science, is a history buff and, in his wife's words and certainly not mine, is a "big geeky academic". He likes baseball, particularly the St. Louis Cardinals, reading and maps. Phew... I think I fitted everything onto his card!
These photos seem to have slipped through the net, but better late than never! Back when we visited England this summer my Dad asked me to bring him a supply of cards suitable for men. He already knew which designs he liked and asked me to make him a bunch of 'shirt and tie' cards and also some of the 'wine bottle' ones. He likes cards that can be used on various occasions, rather than just for birthdays and it's convenient for him to have them on hand. Above and below you can see the variety of colour combinations I came up with. I've mentioned before that, whilst I love coming up with a new design each time I make a customised card,  'mass producing' the same design over and over again can be quite relaxing too. I dare say that quite a number of these cards have already been sent to a number of my Dad's friends. I can make more whenever you are ready, Dad!

5 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

The little dragon is very cute - you always give your characters such lovely expressions Lisa! The shirt and tie cards look really effective - I always find cards for men the hardest to design.

Meeling said...

They look great! Love the wine glass ones...think I'll go pour myself a glass now! ;-)

Melody said...

Super fun cards! I know a lot of people who'd love the wine card (especially if it was accompanied by a real bottle!)

Sudha said...

Lovely work dear.
U have a unique style in ur works.

maramelle said...

j'aime beaucoup toutes ses petites cartes elle sont superbe

Shareaholic