Sunday 7 November 2010

Ten

Yesterday was a big day. Yesterday we reached double numbers in our house - well, aside from my husband and I of course. My eldest son turned 10 and what a birthday he had! The celebrations started on Thursday evening with a train ride to nearby Tel Aviv with a small group of his really good friends, then pizza and a quiz in the big mall there. We have been to the movies, eaten pancakes for breakfast, followed by a pinata cake and chocolate chip muffins. Dad and the birthday boy played tennis and we all went out for a delicious meal to end the day last night. Not a bad birthday, heh?
Of course a birthday wouldn't be a birthday in our house without a special card made by Mum! Eldest son is a football fan through and through. Football is his passion. However, this year we persuaded him to try a different after school activity just for a change. This year he is learning to play tennis and he quite likes it too! Above, you can see him with his yellow Prince racket, wearing his Arsenal cap and standing near to a football goal and ball. Football is still close to his heart you see. My son's snake board - last year's much-loved birthday present - can be seen in the front of the card, and Henry the Hamster popped in too. 'Rabbity' turned 10 yesterday as well. Rabbity has been in my son's life since he was born, though sadly, as the 'Puff the Magic Dragon' song goes, "A dragon lives forever but not so little boys" and Rabbity seems to be pretty much rejected these days... However, eldest son was very happy to see him appear on his birthday card and Rabbity's badge and placard declaring his birthday caused great amusement for all.
This pinata cake is nothing new in the blogging world but it was new to me and I am delighted to say that, as far as birthday cakes go, it was one of the easier ones to make. I kept the chocolate shell in the freezer for quite some time and to my delight it slipped out of the bowl beautifully. Probably the hardest and most time consuming thing was sticking all those smarties and jelly beans onto the shell. Next time, someone please remind me to buy some bigger sweets too for easier and quicker coverage, okay?
All these preparations are so worth the effort though when your son declares his party to be "one of the best ever" and jumps up and down on the sofa when he is opening his presents.
Happy Birthday to my very special 10 year old. You are turning into such a wonderful young man. As I wrote in your card, Daddy and I are so proud that you do so well in school and that you enjoy all your sports activities, but, please, please, please stop annoying your younger brother so much!

8 comments:

julie said...

ahh..happy birthday Nadav!! i cannot believe he is 10! the cake looks great - you must tell me how you made it.
hugs xx

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of or seen pinata cake before, it looks delish!
I'm following from the Etsy forum. I would love it if you followed back. : )

-Felicity
http://felicitylingle.blogspot.com

Sudha said...

Congratulation to ur son n u too. Cake luks so yummy dear.

Laurie said...

I have never seen a cake like that! I really, really want a piece! Happy birthday to your double-digiter...it's all uphill from here!

Annette said...

Sounds like an awesome birthday for a ten year old. And that cake...I've never heard of a pinata cake before!!!! Might have to look into that for my granddaughter's birthday!

Debby said...

Happy Birthday Nadav!
great card and that cake WOW.Never seen that before so cool!

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was about to be 10 (I've got a good memory!!) and thinking I'd run out of fingers to count my age on. But I was obviously, as now, a simple soul! The cake looks absolutely amazing and I had never heard of such a thing before - I want one for my next double figure birthday.

zerry ht said...

Mm! This is such a delightful post. I can try making this for my son’s 5th birthday that is next month and I am planning to book an outdoor venue NYC so that the kids can enjoy outdoor games and activities. It was great coming across this.

Shareaholic