Wednesday 5 October 2011

What's your favourite favourite?

I have a great customer who always gets very carried away with her requests. She knows exactly what teeny-weeny details she wants on her cards and sends me long e-mails listing them. Obviously I really appreciate her enthusiasm and do my very best to oblige, although sometimes I do come up with some alternative suggestions!
Not long ago she requested a card for a "tubby guy" (I hope I am not offending anyone here!) who had to be wearing a white short sleeved t-shirt. She specified that he is bald but has some grey hair on the sides and that he wears glasses. He obviously has a sweet tooth and is a big fan of Nestle's Quality Streets. My customer wanted me to show them "bursting out" all over the card, as they do, or at least used to do, on the adverts. It's been quite some time since I have seen any advert on the television in the UK, but I remembered the one she was talking about. Lastly, it was requested that I add a packet of Silk Cut Blue cigarettes. From that I understood that our "tubby guy" is, or was, a smoker, so I popped a cigarette into one hand and the previously mentioned chocolates into the other.
A friend of mine sent me no less than TEN photographs of her niece and nephew when she asked me to make their birthday cards. It seems that her sister saves my designs each year and therefore the cards seem to have become a kind of record of the children's interests and my friend wanted to make sure that everything was there!
Her nephew, who turned 4, has a favourite soft toy sheep. My friend sent me a link to show me what the toy looks like, but it was specified that it had to be light brown rather than white. He is also into his scooter right now and still loves diggers. She also sent me a photo of the boy dressed up in his sister's tutu but, since Mum is keeping the cards as mementos, we agreed that he would probably not want to be reminded of that in the future!
My friend's niece turned 3. This time the tutu did appear on the card! I also showed her wearing some white butterfly wings and enjoyed adding cotton wool to them, to give them the feathery edging that I noticed in the photo sent to me. The blue-eyed little girl also has a favourite wooden training bike which I added into the picture. The final request from her auntie was that I make the card as girly as possible. I hope I got it all right!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* For those of you who think I made a typo with the title of this post - I didn't! "What's your favourite favourite?" was the advertising slogan for Quality Street chocolates back in the '80's.*

5 comments:

Sudha said...

Wow awesome creations n awesome detailing.

Sudha
sudha-kalra.blogspot.com
http://sudha-kalra.blogspot.com/p/shop.html

Linda B said...

Lisa, I'm sure your attention to detail keeps your customers coming back.

Unknown said...

Beautiful cards, Lisa, as always! The level of details on your cards is just amazing.

Handmade in Israel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow Lisa - you really go the extra mile for your customers!

Shareaholic