Monday 31 October 2011

The Man with the Palindromic Initials

I discovered that I have a secret blog admirer! A lady whom I met at a local networking meeting quite some time ago e-mailed me out of the blue with a card request. It appears that she has followed my blog for quite some time and actually taken note of some of the things that I have written! Yeah! I was of course delighted to hear from her and happily set to work on a special birthday card for her Dad.
What did she tell me about her dear Dad? Well, I learned that he was a doctor until he retired - 25 years ago! He has spent quite some time researching his family's genealogy, grows vegetables in the backyard and enjoys bowling once or twice a week. He also spends most days trying to solve sudokus. His initials are pretty special too - SHS. They form a palindromic 'word' (okay, I know they're really initials), like the word noon, which is not only the same spelled forwards as backwards, but also is the same upside down when spelled in capital letters.
There was a lot to fit on to Dad's card but I think I managed it! The diploma certificate and stethoscope portray his professional life, whilst the family tree on the top right of the card represents his genealogical research. There are gardening tools and vegetables aplenty, since that is the pastime that he has enjoyed most of his life, and I have fitted in a bowling ball and pins, and a couple of sudoku puzzles too.
I hope that Dad liked his card. My customer told me that her father, as he gets older, doesn't have such a good memory for things but that images assist him a lot. I hope that this card, showing the many interesting aspects of his life, prompted his memory a little and that it gave him pleasure seeing all the things he has enjoyed over time on one special card.

1 comments:

Terri said...

Great card! Love how you incorporated all the different elements she requested. I bet he will love it!

Shareaholic