Tuesday 2 July 2013

Naftali's Album

A new customer wrote to me back in April. Her son's Bar Mitzvah was coming up and she had heard about my albums. A few emails back and forth and I had learned a little about the young man in question. His interests include the synagogue and prayer, cricket and Liverpool FC. His Mum told me that, by choice, he will always wear a Liverpool shirt.
I suggested that we show the Bar Mitzvah boy in his favourite shirt, with a cricket bat in one hand and a Tanakh (the Jewish Bible or Hebrew Scriptures) in the other. Mum said that we would need a football in there too. 
He is wearing tefillin in the picture. To remind yourselves what they are please go to this post. As a right-handed young man, he wears them on the bicep of his left arm, with the box facing inward towards the heart. The arm tefillin is placed at a level opposite the heart to teach that if our heart isn't in sync with our mind, our decisions will remain half-hearted and flat.
I decorated several of the pages inside the album too. A corner was devoted to each of his hobbies and covered his love of cricket, football and especially Liverpool FC, and his participation in synagogue services (illustrated by the torah scroll and pointer). I added some tefillin again too.
The young man has recently celebrated his Bar Mitzvah. I am assuming that he didn't actually wear his precious Liverpool shirt on the big day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous album
Richard

Miss Val's Creations said...

This came out great as always!

Shareaholic