Thursday 30 August 2018

Bat Mitzvah Girls

Freya recently celebrated her Bat Mitzvah. Her dad asked me to to make a special card for her to mark the event. After a little discussion it was decided that I should show curly-haired Freya wearing her blue headphones and holding her phone. She has a hamster called Polo, who I presumed was white, but dad sent me a photo so that I could match Polo's brown and white fur. I also suggested adding a Star of David, known in Hebrew as the Shield of David or Magen David, to the design to include a Jewish element.
Dad was pleased with his order. "The card has arrived. Love it! Thanks ever so much." he wrote to me. Later he let me know that Freya loved the card too.
Yaara was also marking her Bat Mitzvah. Her interests include reading, particularly Harry Potter books, chocolate, dogs and acting. Her favourite colour is light blue.
Mum told me that Yaara loves it when her hair has been blow-dried straight, so I showed her with her long dark hair styled that way. The little stage with red curtains behind her represents her interest in acting and there are a couple of Harry Potter books in Hebrew next to her. Yaara herself is holding another Harry Potter book in one hand. In her other hand is a large bar of chocolate. Yummy!
After some discussion a dog was left off the card as the family had not yet decided whether to adopt one. I believe that it's now going to happen, so maybe he or she will appear on a future birthday card!
Whilst we are talking of animals, my friend Mandy is, ahem, somewhat past Bat Mitzvah age, but she does love animals, particularly giraffes. I modelled my paper giraffe on Toy, the newest baby giraffe at the Jerusalem Zoo. Toy was born on the day Netta Barzilai won the Eurovision Song Contest and the newborn giraffe was named in honour of the winning Israeli song. Mandy is crazy about the Eurovision as well, so Toy just had to be on her birthday card this year.

PoCoLo
Easy Peasy Pleasy

16 comments:

Aritha V. said...

I love that you come as close as possible to the person for whom the card is made. That makes it so original and more beautiful than other cards.

Tamar SB said...

Oh my gosh, the hamster and giraffe are amazing!!

Michele Morin said...

Your cut paper images are just incredible!

VeggieMummy said...

Beautiful cards. A Harry Potter book and a bar of chocolate - that's my kind of girl! Love the giraffe too. xx

Snap said...

Your cards are always wonderful. Love the giraffe!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

The cards are so fun!

Tracy Albiero said...

That is a talent I must say! Very creative. Do you do wedding cards? Can you imagine what a keepsake for the bride and groom? #POCOLO

Handmade in Israel said...

Hi Tracey, I have created many wedding cards. If you look on the "Labels" on the right and click on "Wedding", you can see several examples on wedding cards I have made.

fun as a gran said...

No wonder dad was happy with that card it is gorgeous, something to keep forever and so great to be able to personalise it like that.

Miss Val's Creations said...

These all came out beautifully Lisa! I love that Harry Potter has remained as popular as it has. :)

Merlinda Little said...

Its been a while since I last visited your blog. Those are lovely works and it nice to see you again =)

#pocolo

Anne said...

Amazing cards as usual, I love the giraffe. You've got me thinking now about what I'd ask for my kids if I was ordering a card from you. It's interesting to sum them up in a few of their favourite things, I love what you do x

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Your cards are always wonderful. That giraffe is absolutely darling! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Sum of their Stories said...

Great cards, I especially love that cute giraffe.

Chickenruby said...

gorgeous cards as usual, i particularly like the giraffe, thanks for linking up with #pocolo

Stephanie 139a said...

Fabulous - love the cute giraffe, such character! Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

Shareaholic