Sunday 13 October 2019

May and Jack

May graduated from university earlier this year and celebrated her 21st birthday the very next day. Her auntie asked me to make a special card to mark both occasions. May studied economics, loves the theatre, loves to sunbathe and her favourite food is stir fry, she told me. She also requested the number 21 somewhere on the card.
I have shown May wearing her graduate cap, or mortarboard, and tucking into a plate of her favourite stir fry. A stage with red curtains, along with drama masks, represents her interest in theatre. Below that an economics book, the subject she studied at university, and the badge of the university she attended, mark her academic achievements. Finally I added a big yellow sun because her auntie says that May likes sunbathing!
Jack was turning 20. His auntie asked me to create a card based on his interest in music, specifically drum and bass. This was a tough one for me since I'm not even sure what drum and bass is, so I cut out a big number 20 for the centre of the card and added stars and colourful music notes. I also included the logo of the company he works for, Keakie. Keakie is a platform that uses a bespoke AI engine to tailor cultural audio content to its users.
Whatever that means.
Photo credit: Gesher Theatre

Whilst I am on the subject of theatre in this post, some time ago I went to see a Hebrew production of The Kite Runner, Rodef Ha-Afifonim, at the Jerusalem Theatre. Though I have lived in Israel for many years now, I still prefer to see productions in my native English language. However, my youngest son saw this production on a school trip and declared that we should see it too. He's at the age that everything is "boooring!", so when he says something is good, it really must be good!
The Kite Runner is essentially a story of coming of age, loss and redemption set in Afghanistan, a country that has been in a state of political, social and religious turmoil for more than a century. The book and the play span the turbulent years from the overthrow of the monarchy to the era of the Taliban.
The production of The Kite Runner that we saw at the Jerusalem Theatre made wonderful use of props. The stage was dark but clouds were carried on sticks, cars made of steps and a steering wheel on a stick, trees were made of actors and those sticks, and so on. The acting was imaginative and emotive.
I am so glad we went to see it.

* This post has been shared on The Weekly Link Up, Made By You Monday, Make It Pretty MondayWordless Wednesday (on Tuesday) and Inspire Me Tuesday.

8 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Great cards. I wouldn't have had a clue about drum and base either! I took my youngest to see 'The Kite Runner' in the West End a couple of years ago. We both thought it was fantastic. xx

Kim Carberry said...

What a wonderful card for a birthday and a graduation!
hahaha! I know that Drum and Bass is music and that's about it. Well done with Jack's card x #MMBC

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Very nice cards. I enjoy making cards too! It's very satisfying! Thank you! Have a wonderful week!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Perfect cards made to order for the birthdays! I love live theater - glad you got the chance to see a good play!

NCSue said...

Such talent you have!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/10/a-stroll-through-arboretum.html

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your cards are great as always, even when you are expressing best wishes in a foreign language (high tech) ... that made me laugh, I don’t understand half of what some of my children and grandchildren do in their work. ..... I loved the book “The Kite Runner”, even though I almost read it under protest, because someone I trust told me how wonderful it was. Not my usual choice. But how beautifully written and I learned so much. I would love to see the production you saw.

judee said...

Your cards are so cleverly done to represent so many parts of a person's life! How special it must be to receive one! Read The Kite Runner has an important message!

likeschocolate said...

How fun! I loved the book and the movie but would be fun to see in play form. Have a great week.

Shareaholic