Thursday 31 October 2019

Bulgaria, Belize and back

Twins Gabi and Adi each receive one of my customised cards on their birthday every year. I certainly remember making cards for their Bar Mitzvah at the age of 13, if not before, and they are now 23! Last year I showed Gabi at the 2018 World Cup in Russia and Adi campaigning for his favourite candidate in the local municipal elections. This year these young men have been travelling. Gabi has been swimming with sharks in Belize, Central America and Adi went to Bulgaria. (Just to show my age, I am now resisting the temptation to write Great Uncle before Bulgaria 😂)
I have shown Adi against the mountainous background that I could see in the photo his mum sent me. Apparently about 30% of Bulgaria is mountainous and mountains take up most of the southern and western parts of the country. I added the Bulgarian flag behind him to show where the photo I based my card on was taken. A big number 23 marks his age.
Gabi is actually still travelling but sent his parents a clip of him first feeding sharks and then swimming with them. Yikes! I have shown him swimming in the sea, wearing diving gear. A shark is swimming towards him.
I asked his mum how Gabi was going to get his birthday card since he is currently halfway across the world. "I'll take a photo of it and send it to him!" she replied. "We couldn't have a birthday without one [of your cards]!"
How wonderful is that?

14 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oh my gosh, the scuba card! Amazing.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love the way your cards have become part of a family tradition - well done!

VeggieMummy said...

I love the scuba diving card! What a brave chap - I've swum with dolphins and manatees, but I think I'd draw the line at sharks! Ah, the Wombles; there's a programme they should bring back. xx

Chickenruby said...

I really love the personal touch and I bet the twins love getting their cards from you each year #pocolo

riitta k said...

You are so skilful with your cards ! Congratulations to you both.

Cheryl said...

That last comment is the best. One of your cards is obviously part of their birthday traditions. Both lovely cards and mark another year for them. #mmbc

Kim Carberry said...

It is lovely that people keep coming back year after year for your cards. These cards are fab. I particularly like the one with the shark on. x #MMBC

Louisa said...

It must be wonderful to receive such personal cards, no wonder they are a much appreciated birthday tradition. #mmbc

junieper/jesh said...

How cool that through your birthday cards you kind of keep up to date with what and how people are doing! Neat to go go into more uncharted territory and cut out underwater equipment -awesome Lisa! Many thanks for sharing with All Seasons your adventures in making the more unusual cards:) Have a lovely week!

likeschocolate said...

I really like the scuba diving card. That would be my husband. We have talked about going to Isreal again, so he could scuba dive in the Red Sea. WOuld be great fun.

Stephanie 139a said...

10 years is a long time, and a lot of cards. Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

italiafinlandia said...

Very well composed...as usual. Have a nice week!

Kate said...

What a lovely tradition they've made with your cards. Loving the shark one! #TwinklyTuesday

Claire Justine said...

These are great Lisa :)

Thanks for sharing at The Weekly Link-Up, I hope you can join us today for The Wednesday Link Up.

Shareaholic