Wednesday 6 November 2019

Proud Israeli Women

A regular customer contacted me with a request for a special card for her mother-in-law's 70th birthday. She's a very active, vibrant woman, my customer told me. She made Aliya 2 years ago (literally, the Hebrew word "aliyah" means ascent or rise, but for generations it has been used to mean "to move to Israel") and is proudly Israeli with strong South African roots.
Mum-in-law is always on the go. She recently travelled to Italy with a friend, is a keen swimmer, she likes to take selfies and is constantly looking for - losing - and finding - her keys... phone... credit card... glasses. She often wears a particular necklace that my customer sent me a photo of. Finally I learnt that she is a beloved remedial teacher and still teaches English to children to this day.
I have shown the birthday girl wearing her favourite necklace and waving a South African and an Israeli flag. She has found her key and her credit card and is holding them tightly in her other hand. An alphabet book represents the years she has spent teaching, whilst a towel, swimming goggles and mobile phone mark her love for swimming and taking selfies respectively. I added a little picture of the Colosseum in Rome to serve as a reminder of her recent trip to Italy.
"My mother-in-law loved your card! She was blown away!" my customer wrote to me.
Another proud Israeli, Ella, is one of those lucky people who receives one of my birthday cards every year 😉. Last year I showed her all glammed up for her high school prom. She is now serving her time with the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) and so this year mum asked me to show her daughter in her olive green uniform, sitting next to a computer, working through the stacks of paper next to her. I added the big red number 19 to mark her age.
"Lisa, you did it again! Absolutely love your card!" she wrote on Facebook and shared the card for all to see.
The mother-in-law featured on the top card might have her favourite necklace but this lovely rose gold one is quite possibly now mine. Some time ago Anna and Robert of Monday Monarch kindly approached me and offered to send me a necklace or bracelet from their site. It's always nice to support fellow Israeli makers and so I was more than happy to have a good look around. I chose a 1 disc, rose gold 18" necklace and asked them to engrave it with my initial, using the font of my choice.
The handmade rose gold initial necklace which arrived so beautifully packaged in my postbox was a great choice! It is gorgeous and dainty and feels so light that you can almost forget that you are wearing it.
If you are looking for a great personalised gift - or something special just for yourself - Monday Monarch are located in Tel Aviv and will be very happy to hear from you!

12 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Adorable photo of you - you have the most fabulous hair, I'm very envious. I think it's lovely that you have customers who come back each year - your cards must act as a sort of diary reminding them of their interests at each stage of their life. Love the necklace too! xx

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Another winning set of cards and I love your pendant. I'm so glad you were offered a freebie!

Chickenruby said...

Nice to see a photo of you. I've said it before I know but i just love the personal touch in the details

riitta k said...

Your cards are splendid and certainly bring much joy to the receiver!

Jayne said...

It's lovely to see your customers return time and time again. I can see why they do though! ;)
Beautiful makes once again Lisa and a such a lovely necklace too.

Ps - Love your pic too! You look so well xx

Jo (A Rose Tinted World) said...

What a fabulous card! Love these so personalised commissions! #PoCoLo

junieper/jesh said...

Wow, this 70 year old is a busy lady! I love it when people over fifty are still vibrant and in the midst of life! What you are telling about the 19 -year old is new to me, I did not know the Isreali high schoolers also have a prom! (In Holland the high schoolers have their yearly feast, but no prom or homecoming.)
Your customer's lives are all so interesting, and I can imagine, it's a great (inspiring) challenge to make a card which fits their life. Many thanks for sharing it with All Seasons and have a beautiful week!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your talent as always awes! perfect way you capture the personalities.

Powell River Books said...

You make such great personalized cards. I am sure the recipients save them to treasure for years to come. - Margy

Teresa B said...

Love the cards! Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

tiredbutcraftymummy said...

I love how you pay such attention to detail on your cards so they are so personal to the recipient! #MMBC

Crummy Mummy said...

Love the little personalised details like the necklace - such a clever idea! #MMBC

Shareaholic