Thursday 2 January 2020

The Best of 2019 - Part II

1. Hadera River Park 2. David Rubinger 3. The Southern Hills 4. Douze Pointe and Tea for Two 5. Galilee - Part I 6. Vegan Tel Aviv 7. Kishle 8. Ashkelon International Sand Sculpture Festival 9. The Peres Center for Peace and Innovation 10. Urban Agriculture on the Roof of the Dizengoff Centre

Happy New Year! When I started writing this blog back in 2008 I initially kept it as a blog purely about my papercut art. However, I soon found out that people were interested in reading a little more about me and my life here in Israel. I started to write blog posts about my Jewish faith and many of the holidays we celebrate and about some of the beautiful places I have been fortunate to visit in Israel.
I will very soon be marking 25 years in Israel! I have now spent over half of my life here. Over the years I have enjoyed exploring my country, particularly when the kids were younger (I now have one son in the army and another who is less than interested in coming out with Mum and Dad!). We have been north, we have been south, east and west - though that's not so hard really since the country is so small! Along the way I have developed a knack for searching out off the beaten track places, so much so that rarely a week goes by without me getting a call or WhatsApp message from a friend asking for suggestions about what to do and where to go!
Summer 2019 saw us travelling abroad for a holiday in Hungary, but during the year I have also visited Ashkelon and Be'ersheva in the South and the Hula Lake, Rosh Pina and more in the beautiful Galilee. Mister Handmade in Israel and I have been to museums in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and stayed closer to home to see the winter flowers bloom in the nearby forests. I have blogged about all of these places and more, but thought it would be fun to pick my top 10 of 2019. So please click on the names above, and a few extras below, and enjoy exploring Israel with me!


27 comments:

Cynthia said...

25 years in Israel - wow! For some reason, I fear a bit spending more time in my current country vs. my home country as if I would lose something, a little bit of where I came from (I don't know, just a feeling) but when the going is good, the bottom line is why not? :) Congrats! I'll have to catch up on your Hungary trip - I haven't been outside of Budapest but it looks very intriguing there.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Congratulations on the your 25 years in Israel. I enjoy every kind of post you write. I love your art, enjoy history, travel, and learning more about the wonderful land where you live.

Marisa said...

Nice photos here... Happy new year! :)

Tamar SB said...

25 years! To many more!!

VeggieMummy said...

25 years - I think that deserves a card! Here's to many more. xx

Claire Justine said...

Lovely photos Lisa. You have made me want to go to the beach :) Happy New Year.

Thanks for stopping by and joining us at Welcome To The Weekend Link Up.

Joanne said...

We just love to explore as much as we can too and I love seeing other people's trips, experiences, and cultures.

betty-NZ said...

I'm sure I won't get to Israel without winning the lottery, so your wonderful posts about its beauty and history is always a delight to see on your blog :)

It's so nice to see you at 'My Corner of the World'!

My Corner of the World

Miss Val's Creations said...

Happy New Year Lisa! Your blog is always a treat to visit! I hope your 2020 is filled with love, laughter and more adventures.

Shiju Sugunan said...

That's a long time! Nice post!

likeschocolate said...

A wonderful collection of photos! Wishing you a wonderful New Year!

Kim Carberry said...

You live in such a wonderful, interesting country and have visited some fab places x

Camila said...

Wow I can't wait to get to being half my life in another country! Congrats on your soon to be 25 years! Israel does look like such a beautiful country!

junieper/Jesh said...

So true, what you are writing about people being also interested about your life and interests. Can't help but people like to know the person who is making all these cards for others:):) The last years 5 years blog land has become more interested about the person. Remember that after All Seasons you have connected to a host of other memes/ challenges - you're doing great Lisa! Love the 10 reviews you chose. I remembered most of them fairly well. Hope you are ready for a brand new blogging year:)

Gillena Cox said...

Enjoyed your look back mosaic and photos. Wishing you many more happy years in Israel
Happy New Year

Much🎉love

Coombe Mill - Fiona said...

I never think of Israel for beaches, but they look lovely #GlobalBlogging

Angie said...

Lisa - congratulations on 25 years in Israel. And good for you to make the most of your time there. One never knows what the next day will bring, so it behooves us to use every day to its fullest. Your collage certainly shows that you have been doing that!

So glad to have you join Mosaic Monday - please come again soon!

Veronica Lee said...

Congratulations on the your 25 years in Israel. I enjoy reading your posts on Israel.

Happy 2020!

Lady Fi said...

Lovely shots. I'd like to visit Tel Aviv.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It must evoke mixed feelings for a Jew to visit Hungary given the appalling way the Hungarians delivered the Jews to the Nazis near the end of the Second World War, and to see the rise of fascist, anti-immigrant, xenophobia in that country now.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Congrats on 25 years in Israel. I admire your wonderful art immensely but am so very glad you began blogging about your country! .I love the virtual travel to a place that I knew very little about and learning from a “real human being” is the best. (And by that I mean someone who loves where she lives, who enjoys searching out those special places and who is not a professional travel blogger, but someone living a real life and taking occasional vacations from it. I hope that makes some sense!). Happy New Year!

Janis said...

Israel sounds like an incredibly fascinating country, Happy New Year to you and have fun in 2020. #farawayfiles

Clare (Suitcases and Sandcastles) said...

Your blog is definitely the place to come to for the lowdown of the best things to see and eat in Israel. It's a great source of information. Thanks for inspiring us all on #farawayfiles

loopyloulaura said...

I am new to your blog and now want to find out more about your 25 years in Israel! Thanks for linking up with #globalblogging and I hope 2020 is another fab year for you!

At Lifestyle Crossroads said...

25 years! Wow! You’ve had a great year, I really enjoyed the Vegan Tel Aviv Post: I’m not a vegan, but I love eating lots of healthy veggies, so often go for the vegan restaurants on the road! I’ve discovered lots of cool places in Tel Aviv thanks to your post!

Cynthia said...

After 25 years, you've certainly found your new home. Loved your post on Galilee and Hula Lake, with the bird and wildlife photos.

Sharon said...

Your love for Israel is apparent in all you write about. You've visited such interesting places in Israel. And so many! Keep on traveling -- and reporting back to all of us readers!

Shareaholic