Monday 9 March 2020

A Memorable Day for Three Generations

Lisa is an art teacher. Her husband asked me to make a special card for her birthday, simply suggesting that I create something "arty". My favourite type of commission! I decided to show red-headed Lisa proudly holding up some of her students work (I found a photo on Facebook). She has a paintbrush in her other hand, whilst a palette, paint tubes, splashes of paints and coloured pencils surround her.
Around the same time, Lisa herself asked me to make a couple of cards. This first one was for the couple's daughter, their third child, who recently joined the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF). I have shown her in her olive green uniform with her beautiful red hair flowing over her shoulders (in reality, female soldiers with hair that descends past the collar of the uniform shirt must have their hair in a ponytail). I learnt from my earlier mistake and showed her saluting with her right hand! I added some black army boots, an Israeli flag and the Israel Defence Forces emblem. The sword in the emblem represents war, while the olive branch symbolises the yearning for peace.
B'hatzlacha Keren! Good luck.
Finally, the other request was a birthday card for Lisa's dad who celebrated his 83rd birthday back in December. She sent me some photos of her dad and told me that he is passionate about Leyton Orient F.C., a professional football club based in Leyton, London. He loves Neil Sedaka, writes poems, was a ladies hairdresser back in England and his favourite meal is fried egg and chips.
I have shown dad holding a pair of hairdressing scissors in one hand and a plate of egg and chips in the other. Behind him is a picture of Neil Sedaka, the badge of his favourite football team and a sheet of paper and pencil in readiness for a poem. The big number 83 marks his age.
"Thanks for the cards - they're perfect" Lisa wrote to me.

9 comments:

Michele Morin said...

What a fun assignment!

Pamela ~ DIY vibes said...

I love your cards, such a special touch to someone's special day!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

It's marvelous how your creative cards are such a part of this family. Have a great week! #MMBC

Kim Carberry said...

How fantastic to make 3 cards for the same family. It sounds like you like it when you are given a free rein to make a card. I do like the arty one especially. x

VeggieMummy said...

Is there anything that you haven't created to put on a card? The plate of egg and chips had me smiling! xx

Tamar SB said...

3 amazing cards!

Allyson said...

It's wonderful you're able to create one-of-a-kind cards to make days special for others. Love your cards! I'm visiting from Really Crafty Party.

Cheryl said...

You always get so much detail in to your cards. What lovely souvenirs they must make. #mmbc

Miss Val's Creations said...

These all came out fantastic!

Shareaholic