Monday 20 September 2021

Critical Mass Forever

This piece was created for several siblings as a gift from their sister. The siblings haven't been together for 9 years and she simply wanted to celebrate "us". I was flattered when my customer asked me to make this piece for her, since we met through a papercutting facebook group and she is a talented artist in her own right. She was keen for me to create a piece in my style. 
My customer sent me the black and white photograph of all the siblings, above, taken by their father in the family's "backyard", the Rockies, about 50 years ago! My customer is second from left. Obviously since the photo was in black and white I needed some help with the colours. The Rocky Mountains, she told me, are not as green as the Alps and she suggested that I work with shades of green and brown. The trees and valley were green but the foreground should be light brown with stones. She pointed out that there is still snow on the mountain tops, even though the photograph was taken in the month of September.
"Everybody had brown hair, except for my brother who had black hair", she said. With a little help from her sister they remembered that the girl on the left of the picture, above, had a navy blue sweater, the younger sister was wearing a light green and white striped top and their brother wore plaid (tartan). That left only my customer with the long plaits. She suggested that I give her a light coloured top. Their dog was salt and pepper in colour.
Finally, my customer requested the phrase "Critical Mass Forever" at the bottom of the picture. I printed it in green to match the trees and valley of the Rockies.
She was delighted with the final piece, which she had printed several times over for the rest of her family. "The more I look at your picture, I like it even more. It is so true to who we were/are." She followed up by telling me that her husband and son liked it a lot and then, once everyone had received their framed picture, reported that my artwork was a hit all around!
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs
JENerally Informed

11 comments:

Kim Carberry said...

What a lovely thoughtful gift and some great work from you x

Tamar SB said...

This is so special!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

That is a long time to not see family - this is a special piece of art capturing a moment in time.

VeggieMummy said...

What a beautiful picture. A reminder of family, even when they can't be together. xx

Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) said...

What a beautiful picture and such a lovely way to recreate it as a gift. I love how you've really brought it to life with all the little details and I'm glad it was so well received by all the recipients. #MMBC

NCSue said...

You've made a true treasure for this family!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/09/in-abstract.html

Miss Val's Creations said...

This came out amazing Lisa! What a fun photograph to work off of too! I can see why it was a hit with the family.

Claire Justine said...

Such a beautiful card, Lisa. You recreated the photo perfectly :)

Shiju Sugunan said...

Excellent output! Like the collaboration in bringing in the colors.

Lalka Crochetka said...

amazing! it is so complex project and looks so natural!

Jayne said...

What a lovely piece Lisa! Memories are so special but you've just taken that up a notch. Such a wonderful keepsake. x

Shareaholic