Thursday 28 January 2021

Eighteen

My youngest son turned 18 last week and it certainly wasn't the 18th birthday he had dreamt of! Israel is currently in its third lockdown, so he celebrated his special birthday at home with mum and dad! When I think back to how I celebrated my 18th birthday - at Romeo and Juliet's in Hull, a nightclub which has long since disappeared - it does feel rather sad, but we are all healthy and safe at home, and Mister Handmade in Israel and I have received both of our Covid-19 vaccinations. It's all good.
Eighteen seems pretty old but then I do have one son already serving his compulsory service in the Israeli army. His younger brother will be finishing school this summer and will start his service shortly afterwards. Israel has just started to vaccinate the kids who, in the coming months, will be doing their bagrut, Israel's high school matriculation examination. He received his first shot a couple of days ago and will hopefully be able to prepare for his exams in some way, even though he hasn't been inside his school for almost a year!
My son has received a birthday card made by me ever since he turned 1. The first card of his that I showed on this blog was from his 6th birthday. It featured Dracula and bats! In recent years his cards seem to have been mostly dog themed. We never did get him a dog and probably should have done, but he is still passionate about them and I guess will one day have a dog of his own. The dog that appears on his 18th birthday card is Tofu, our neighbour's dog, who Gadi walks daily. In fact Tofu was with us when my son was opening his birthday cards, so Tofu was shown his paper portrait, above, and it seemed to meet with approval 😉.
My son has passed his driving test since his last birthday and when we are not in lockdown, likes to take Mister Handmade in Israel's car for a spin with his friends. I have shown the car on his card and he is proudly pointing to the car keys. He supports our local football team, Ironi Modi'in F.C., so I added the club badge to his card as well. Of course he's 18 now, so he can legally enjoy a beer with his friends. I included an overflowing beer glass, along with his precious phone which never leaves his hand.
Even at 18 it seems that he was very happy with his customised card handmade by Mum. The box of boutique beers that we had delivered went down very well too and of course there was cake. Writing all of this down has made me realise that it wasn't such a bad birthday after all!

PoCoLo

16 comments:

Mami Made It said...

Beautiful card! Congratulations! So you are facing an empty nest soon. The dog is so sweet, both the carddog as well as the real dog. Have a nice day!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your son and congratulations to your family - you are well and together for a little while longer. We live in a crazy world and your birthday card is a note of sanity. We all need that.

Tamar SB said...

Mazal tov to him!!

Joanne said...

Aw, I hope he had a wonderful birthday!! Thank you so much for sharing his special card with us at Encouraging Hearts and Home. Pinned.

VeggieMummy said...

How lovely to always get a special card from mum. Happy Birthday to your son. I love the photo where he is showing his card to tofu (great name!). Congratulations too on your Coronavirus jabs - Israel is really rocking on the vaccination front. xx

Lalka Crochetka said...

I have seen it on FB and from the first sight I knew it is your work! spectacular as always :)

Jayne said...

Happy belated birthday Gadi. It sounds like he managed to have a fab lockdown birthday.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend lovely xx

italiafinlandia said...

What a turning point in one's life!
Happy Birthday!

riitta k said...

Congratulations to your son! I am sure there comes a time he can celebrate his birthday.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Congratulations! Interesting milestone in life.

Catherine said...

Happy Birthday to your son. Hopefully he can celebrate with his friends soon :o)

#MMBC

Anne said...

Belated Happy Birthday to Gadi, my son celebrated his birthday at home with us in lockdown last week as well. I love the card!

junie-jesh said...

Nothing cuter (don't tell him) than an 18 year old who is so happy with simple pleasures of life. Your capture of him showing the dog his card made me smile. A happy belated birthday to him, and that he may reach the dreams of his life! It will be a fantastic day when he can finally drive the car!! Thank you for sharing this joyousfamily event with All Seasons, Lisa. Have a happy week, Jesh

Fancyingfrance said...

Another fabulous card! I'm sure your son loves having such special cards made and how wonderful to be able to keep them as a momento of previous birthdays.

Stephanie 139a said...

Time goes so quickly doesn't it - hope the celebrations were fun. Thanks for sharing with #pocolo

creativejewishmom.com said...

Lisa, this really touched me, with teen sons of my own I can totally relate to it all and the sweetness of seeing this boy of yours become a man.....love the card and the idea that you now have 12 of them, what an amazing piece of art that would be to see them all together on a poster! thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

Shareaholic