Monday 14 February 2022

A 'Thing' About Birds

Back in art college, many years ago, I lino printed some textile with birds on it. I still have it. I have always had a 'thing' about birds, so it came as no surprise to Mister Handmade in Israel that this year's Valentine's card had a bird on it! I created a sweet and simple design, inspired by a small print I saw on Pinterest, showing a bird sitting on a branch. The branches are bare apart from a few leaves. I added a couple of hearts, which are "blooming" there instead. The card was cut from white stock with a red paper inlay.
Valentine's Day in Israel is not the same kind of celebration as it is in other places in the world, but Mister Handmade in Israel and I always mark the day in some way. We both grew up in the UK and enjoy keeping some British traditions. In Israel there is another day, called Tu B'Av, that celebrates love. The holiday takes place in the summer months, this year on the 11th August.
We exchanged Valentine's cards and Mister Handmade in Israel sent me these gorgeous flowers and a yummy package of English chocolates too! Our supplies were running low from our last trip to the UK. Mister Handmade in Israel received some locally made espresso coffee liqueur, which we both like. I hope he shares!
My Random Musings

12 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love the pretty Valentine's card. Flowers and candy are nice too. Wishing you a great Valentine's Day!

Kim Carberry said...

That card is really pretty.
I am glad you are still celebrating. Those flowers are beautiful and well done to him for getting English chocolate. What a treat! x

Cheryl said...

What a lovely card. You are so clever and patient. Not many leaves on the trees around here, at them moment, so it feels just right for February. I like that you take two days each year to celebrate love.

Tamar SB said...

The card is gorgeous!

Catherine said...

Happy Valentines Day! That chocolate stash looks delicious and the flowers are beautiful!

My husband surprised me with a card today, more a message really but it was so unexpected that it doesn't matter. It's the thought that counts :o)

#MMBC

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Your cared is peaceful and calming. I love it . I didn't know about the love holiday in Israel. Totally new to me but happy to learn about it. My husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day anymore.. We should.

Glenda Cates said...

I enjoyed the photos of the treats and flowers. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a nice week and I look forward to returning in the future.

thisiswhereitisat said...

I love this design so pretty x #mmbc

Joanne said...

What a beautiful card! We don't celebrate in a big way either but I do get/make my husband and sons a box of chocolates and a card.

VeggieMummy said...

Beautiful card! English chocolate and flowers, a perfect gift for Valentine's Day. xx

Ruth said...

I love the bird cards you made, the coloured background makes them stand out beautifully. The chocolate package looks very delicious. I love Maltesers, what a lovely Valentine's Day treat!

Linda said...

Excellent design. I like birds!

Shareaholic