Monday 14 March 2022

A 30+30 Birthday

Howard was celebrating a special birthday. His wife wasn't sure if he would like the number of the birthday he was celebrating on the card but suggested I show it in a subtle way. Because he's an accountant, she thought it would be fun to show her husband holding a calculator with the numbers adding up to his age. He also loves the Montreal Canadiens, known as the Habs, a professional ice hockey team based in Montreal, she told me.
I showed her accountant husband sitting at his desk, with his laptop computer in front of him. He is holding up the calculator which, um, just happens to have the sum 30+30=60 on it 😉. Behind him I added the badge of his favourite ice hockey team, along with a stick and puck. Why is it called a puck? Hockey players way back when must've been some literary enthusiasts, because the puck is named after a character from Shakespeare. In "A Midsummer's Night Dream," Puck was a flighty and mischievous elf. Apparently the hockey puck can be pretty flighty too, sliding smoothly across the ice in all directions!
My customer posted the card on Facebook and, before I had even got out of bed that morning, I received an email saying "Love the card you did for Howard!"

17 comments:

Kim Carberry said...

What a fab idea to use the calculator to show the age, very subtle. Fab card x

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Another winning card - it's so hard to buy cards for men and this one is made for him.

Hels said...

It IS hard to buy cards or presents for men, yes! So I like the look of the chap who isn't covered with flowers and chocolates, but also not a brutal wrestler. Howard looks like a lovely sporty dad, dressed sensibly.

Amila said...

This is a fabulous idea for a birthday card for an accounting professional.Not easy to buy such a card. You are very creative!

Tamar SB said...

That is such a fun, personalized one!

Jennifer Bliss said...

Very nice. Are all of these done with a Cricut?

Handmade in Israel said...

Hi Jennifer, I do not have a Cricut. All my works is drawn and cut by hand.

thisiswhereitisat said...

What a fun idea X #mmbc

Joanne said...

That is a fabulous card and I had no idea that was how the hockey puck got it's name!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The calculator was a very clever idea!

handmade by amalia said...

Very clever! Another happy customer, I'm sure.
Amalia
xo

Anne said...

Lovely fun card, I do like the way you have put the age on it, especially seeing as he is an accountant...it all adds up!

VeggieMummy said...

Brilliant card with a very subtle age display! I never knew that the puck was named after Robin Goodfellow; thank you for that little gem. xx

Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) said...

I love the subtle way of displaying the age on the card. I never realised that the hockey puck was called after Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream - you learn something new every day! #MMBC

Mum on a mission for a better life said...

So creative, I love it! #pocolo

Jayne said...

What a fun birthday card. I love all of the little details as always. Wishing Howard a very happy 30+30 birthday! 😉

Miss Val's Creations said...

How creative to sneak the age in on the calculator! That is interesting history on how the puck is named after one of Shakespeare's characters.

Shareaholic