Sunday 15 May 2022

Doing a Lunge

A new customer saw one of my cards that a mutual friend posted on Facebook. She messaged me to say that she loves the cards I make, could I create one for her husbands upcoming 50th birthday too? She sent me some photos of her husband and asked me to show him wearing the blue sweatshirt with the logo of the company he works for. Other things to add to the card were a basketball, a Torah (he is a baal kore - the person who reads the weekly excerpt from the Torah during synagogue services) and numbers (her husband works in analytics). Finally, she asked me if it would be possible to draw him doing a lunge.
I showed the bespectacled birthday boy in his blue sweatshirt, doing the requested lunge. I even asked his wife which trainers he wears and copied the design on them as well! Behind him is a basketball and a net and to his right is a Sefer Torah or Torah scroll, which is a long scroll containing the entire text of the Five Books of Moses, hand-written by a scribe in the original Hebrew. It is rolled up around two ornate wooden shafts, attached to either end of the scroll.
I added a big number 50 to mark his age. Below that is a little bar chart, a graph and a magnifying glass which represent his career in analytics. I thought that was better than random numbers!
My customer loved the card.
PoCoLo

14 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

The blue and orange combination really pops on this card.

Hels said...

Your ability to add everything on the card that is important to the lucky recipient.. depends on the quality of information that you are given. So if I send you a photo of my beautiful husband, would you be able to add golf clubs, siddur and tallit, medical equipment, grandchildren in Australia and Israel, and above all gorgeous red hair :)

Handmade in Israel said...

Hels, I can add anything to a card really. However, I do make suggestions to my customers about what to include. I always suggest 2-3 hobbies and interests. If they want more, then I suggest an extra large card. Likewise, if they want all their children or grandchildren on the card, then that becomes the theme of the card. I don't try to squeeze in lots of other things too. Many of my customers come back to me year after year. They include one or two themes for that year and the card becomes a reminder of what was important to that person at that stage of their lives.
I hope that answers your question :)

VeggieMummy said...

I'm glad he loved the card. The lunge is particularly impressive! xx

Miss Val's Creations said...

Such great details. I love how the basketball and net turned out!

likeschocolate said...

I love how each card is so detailed and personal.

Tamar SB said...

What a fun one! Love the details and colors.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This one really shows the special care you take with each card -- even checking on the trainer brand and carefully thinking about how to show the career of analytics (which definitely doesn't seem like an easy thing to picture, but you did it!). Very nice -- he is a lucky man!

Joanne said...

Another lovely card with so many amazing details!

Sharon Wagner said...

Nice hoops and lunges!

chickenruby said...

I'm not surprised your client was happy with the card, it really is clever. Thanks for linking with #pocolo

Lovely said...

What an adorable card! Lovely as always.
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

handmade by amalia said...

I should do a few lunges as well :-) Another great card.
Amalia
xo

Shayndel said...

Beautiful to all the details!! I love the Torah Scroll!!
Makes me think of what I would have on a card, surely a Torah Scroll, Challah, and some Hebrew Letters and a heart!!!
Maybe I can order one one day!!
Keep up the beautiful work!
Shabbat Shalom!!❤️

Shareaholic