Monday 5 February 2024

Sadie Eve

I became a great-aunt in 2020 when my sister's eldest daughter gave birth to her first child Lottie Ruby. I made a piece of artwork for the nursery back then so, when Lottie's sister Sadie Eve arrived in August 2023, of course I had to make something for her bedroom too.
Once again I created a piece which displayed the baby's name near the top and her Hebrew name, Michal Perach, below it. Many Jewish people observe the custom of giving their children both English and Hebrew first names - the former for everyday life, the latter for religious purposes. Although Jewish law does not insist on Hebrew names for such rituals as being called up to the Torah, or for Bar or Bat Mitzvah, wedding, and funeral ceremonies, their use on these occasions is customary.
Sadie's Hebrew name, Michal, is a diminutive of Michael, a Hebrew name meaning "Who is like God?" Biblical Michal was King Saul's daughter and first wife of David, who later became king, first of Judah, then of all Israel.
Perach means flower.
Sadie's birth date and the time of her birth is at the top of the piece, whilst her birth weight is at the bottom. When I checked with my sister what colour Sadie's bedroom was, I was told sage green and pale pink. With that in mind, I added a fox, one of my signature little birds and flowers to the piece, imagining a woodland theme.
My niece was very happy to receive the framed picture. "It's absolutely beautiful. It looks so cute in her room. It matches perfectly." she told me.
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

11 comments:

Kim Carberry said...

What a beautiful card! When I first looked I just saw the name but when I looked closer I saw all the detail like the date, weight and the fox. Great work. x

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love that you added the cute fox to her card. It's just beautiful! #MMBC

Catherine said...

These are beautiful!

I love the little fox :)

#MMBC

Joanne said...

That is such a lovely and thoughtful gift!

VeggieMummy said...

Absolutely gorgeous! If I'm ever lucky enough to have a grandchild (to be fair, that's looking rather unlikely!), I shall be ordering one of your beautiful cards. Lovely name too. xx

hels said...

Precious memories!
We think we will never forget the important details - middle name, birth date, Hebrew name, weight etc. Yet years later, all the grand children's, grand nieces and grand nephews' details fade a bit.

NCSue said...

How sweet! I love this. I hope they will frame it and treasure it as a keepsake.
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/02/the-chapel-of-apparitions-in-paray-le.html

Carmen Smith said...

What a lovely piece of art! Did you use a laser-cutting machine?

Handmade in Israel said...

Thank you Carmen. My work is all drawn and cut entirely by hand.

Tamar SB said...

Mazal tov!!

Jayne said...

This is a beautiful design Lisa. I absolutely love the woodland theme. xx

Shareaholic