Tuesday 9 March 2010

Shuk Ha'Carmel

This morning I travelled to Tel Aviv, anticipating an Etsy Chai team meet-up which sadly didn't happen. Away from home, with a few hours to spare, I decided to explore a little and enjoy a morning off, rather than simply turning around and returning home.
The above photos were taken at The Carmel Market, known locally as Shuk Ha'Carmel. This market is Tel Aviv's biggest and a fascinating place to visit. It is basically one crowded narrow alley with long lines of colourful stalls standing on either side where vendors proudly - and loudly - present their goods. Here you can find almost anything imaginable, from cheap clothes and shoes, fake CDs and watches to exotic spices, fish, poultry and an amazingly colourful collection of fruits and vegetables.
After roaming around and enjoying the sights and smells of the market, I crossed over to nearby Nachalat Binyamin Street. On Tuesdays and Fridays the street comes alive with an Arts & Crafts Fair which features the work of roughly 200+ Israeli artists. The variety and range of work available there is broad and varied. One can find jewellery, ceramics, lampshades, Judaica and much, much more. There are many talented people gathered up in this fair, and even if you're not in the 'buying mood' you will enjoy this little market.
After a couple of hours it was time to head home, just in time to collect the kids from school. My morning out had been somewhat 'rescued' after such a disappointing start, though tomorrow I intend to keep things simple and catch up with some recent commissions.

5 comments:

skeptis said...

I miss the warm season here! I love walking in these chaotic markets:) Beautiful collection!

LizzieJane said...

What a fun morning. I am quite envious! It is a shame though that your Etsy Chai meet up didn't happen. Still it looks like your morning quite well.
x

Laurie said...

Ugh, sorry about the meeting, but salvage the morning you did! I can't believe you took all those photos of all that color and texture in one place! Amazing part of the world you live in.

Susie Lubell said...

I'm glad it wasn't a total loss...I hope you wore sunscreen! yikes!

Unknown said...

Thanks for bringing the sights and smells of the market to me in California, where today it snowed, hailed, thundered and lightening'ed' (is that a word?) ALL day! I'm looking forward to the summer night street markets here in Grass Valley. (Your cards are so crisp and bright. Lovely!) Pam

Shareaholic