Wednesday 30 June 2010

Elton hadn't cancelled

My boys finished school today for two whole months. Here in Israel the summer holidays are known as the Hofesh HaGadol (literally meaning "the big holiday"), and by some parents as the Onesh HaGadol ("the big punishment"!). I am quite happy with the idea that we don't have to wake up at 6:30am in time for school for a while, though the boy's presence at home does have quite a dramatic effect on my ability to craft! I'm pleased to say that I have quite a backlog of handcrafted paper goodies to show you though, so there won't be a lack of blog posts, even if there is a lack of work going on! Last month the husband of one of my regular customers celebrated his birthday. He is the Marketing Director at Strauss Group Ltd., the second largest food and beverages company in Israel. The company was about to unveil a 3D advertisement for the Milky 3 chocolate pudding, the first ever 3D commercial to be broadcast on Israeli television. It seems that the birthday boy was quite excited about this new advert and very specific requests were made about his card (above). I had to show his kids wearing their red and blue 3D glasses, awaiting the new advert. In the middle I created a paper version of the Milky pudding itself, and the kids are armed with a spoon, ready to dig in. Because the recipient of the card is the Marketing Director of the company in question, I decided that for once there would be no problem with me using their logo in my design! Above and below you can see yet more treasuries that I have been fortunate enough to have had my work included in. Both show different sets of my Bar and Bat Mitzvah cards, above, top right, and below, middle row on the left. The Bar Mitzvah cards below in fact appeared in no less than three treasuries recently! It is very nice to receive that little bit of recognition and the extra publicity that comes with it. Both of these card sets are available in my shop.
Finally, nothing to do with the arts and crafts world, but exciting all the same. Look who I went to see in concert a few days ago! Sir Elton John had been lobbied not to appear in Israel but I am happy to say that he didn't let down his fans. “Shalom, we are so happy to be back here! Ain’t nothing gonna stop us from coming, baby! ” he declared to 50,000 fans at the Ramat Gan stadium near Tel Aviv. The show was a great success. Sir Elton entertained us with many of his greatest hits. We sang. We danced. A great night was had by all. Elton had actually turned up, something of a novelty in the last few weeks, following a string of politically inspired cancellations. "Musicians spread love and peace, and bring people together." he said. " That's what we do. We don't cherry-pick our conscience."

2 comments:

Leeya Engel said...

so funny that you mention that commercial because my family is all excited about it as well - my husbands sister, Miriam Engel, was an extra in it!

Laurie said...

Sweet! The Elton John concert must have been awesome!

Shareaholic