Wednesday 2 June 2010

Bat Mitzvah

I created this Bat Mitzvah album some time ago and have been patiently waiting to show it here. Like always, I waited for the date of the celebration to pass to be sure that the recipient had received it before I displayed it, and then my own birthday and my father's visit got in the way! I am excited to show it to you now and hope that it was worth the wait.
Lauren is a young lady in the UK who has just celebrated her Bat Mitzvah. I was asked to create an album for her with a cover that reflects all of her various hobbies and interests. Apparently she is very into sport - particularly netball and lacrosse - loves to read, listen to music and, like many girls her age, is into arts and crafts and sewing and clothes. It was also requested that I add some kind of Jewish element into the design, since the album was after all being created to commemorate a Jewish ceremony.
I tried hard to incorporate everything into the cover design! Any hobbies that were left off the front cover were included on the inside pages. The young lady is shown wearing her Goal Shooter netball bib and holding a netball, with her lacrosse racket swung over her shoulder and a netball post in the background. If you look closely you can see that she has a little needle and thread pinned onto her bib to illustrate her love of sewing. The music notes and bookshelf speak for themselves. I customised the cover that little bit further by adding her name and the date of her Bat Mitzvah celebration in English and the word Bat Mitzvah, "Daughter of Commandment", in Hebrew.Inside the album I embellished several of the pages with designs that covered her remaining hobbies. Above, from left to right, you can see the page that reflects her love of arts and crafts, the page that shows her passion for music, for clothes, reading and books and finally, once again, netball. On each page I added a Star of David, or Magen David, the generally recognized symbol of Jewish identity and Judaism.
I am told that Lauren absolutely loved her album and that she kept showing it to everyone. I, of course, loved making it and now, with a few albums under my belt, am looking forward to the next request for a wedding, birthday or Bar or Bat Mitzvah album!

7 comments:

Shira said...

What a great gift. I would have loved that for my Bat Mitzvah! I love how you included all of her interests. I especially like the lacrosse stick.

ana said...

what a wonderful album/idea. :D & a lovely blog you have.

VeganCraftastic said...

Very cute!

Almay Alday said...

Beautiful album! She's going to love it!

LizzieJane said...

What a beautiful album. A lot of thought was put into it Lisa and it shows.
x

cabin + cub said...

It is lovely! She will love it! ;)

Lesley Todd said...

What a lovely way to mark the occasion. I like the way you design with shapes and colours. You can tell straight away you have a background in graphic design! Beautiful work.

Shareaholic