Sunday 25 July 2010

I'm outta here

Okay, I'm outta here. It's time for a little blogging break for me, as I travel overseas to visit family in the UK. I do have one last thing to show you before I go though. These little cuties were recently delivered to a seemingly very happy customer who had commissioned them as baby presents for two new arrivals. She wanted a present for her brother’s new baby boy and a good friend's baby girl - something that could be framed for their bedrooms. She wanted the design to include an image of a baby and their siblings and parents. As is my usual way of working, I received photos of the respective families and soon set to work.The Hebrew name Keshet means 'rainbow' in English. My customer therefore requested that rainbows and butterflies be included in the picture, a very simple request to work with when the piece is for a little girl. I built my composition around the rainbow, with Keshet herself sitting at one end of the rainbow and her parents, sister and brother at the other end. The final touch was to personalise the picture that little bit further by cutting out the letters of her name in pretty rainbow colours as well.
Theo Cyril is the customer's newborn nephew. She already knew that the carpet in his bedroom is red, so I was able to make the picture to match his room! This picture shows the baby boy, this time waving to us from the centre of the piece, surrounded by his parents and sisters. For this piece I was asked to include "boyish baby stuff" in the background and I had fun cutting out the little sailboat and teddy bear, amongst other toys.
The framing was left to me and I was happy to choose colourful frames to match the pieces. My customer came to collect her order a few days ago. Within minutes of her leaving I received a lovely e-mail from her saying that she had "just got home and had a closer look – they’re really great!".
Have a great summer everyone! I have a lot of holiday stuff to be getting on with now. I'll be back in a few weeks, no doubt with many, many photos from some interesting adventures in England and Belgium. Here goes...

10 comments:

Like Peter Design said...

Saw your blog on the etsy thread. Really creative pieces! Love it!

Please stop on by and check mine out!

http://likepeterdesign.blogspot.com/

Expressions By Devin said...

Love your blog. You are very talented. Cant wait to read more post.

Lori P said...

What sweet pictures. Hope you have a great visit.

Leeya Engel said...

enjoy your trip! love the pictures

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the portraits - what a fun individual gift for a new baby.

Hope your trip is fun filled and safe. Look forward to seeing the photos when you return.

Alix said...

Have fun on your vacation!

Laurie Cilley said...

So adorable! I Love the work you do! You really do a great job, keep up the great work!

Congratulations! You have been awarded with the "I Love Your Blog" award! You can check it out on my blog:

http://jcbdesignstudio.blogspot.com/

EL Gifts and Cards said...

Wow, you have amazing work!!

Lovely World said...

You have been away from the blog for a spell! Hope it was a fun break. I liked seeing my daughter's name (miriam) on this card. Best, Maribeth

Liz Felgate Crafts said...

I've enjoyed looking through your blog at your beautiful creations.

Shareaholic