Monday 4 January 2021

The Best of 2020 - Part II


1. POP-UP Museum TLV 2  2. Gazelle Valley 3. Beit She'an National Park 4. The Argaman Iris Reserve 5. Celebrating My 50th Birthday in the Middle of a Pandemic 6. Nahal Arugot 7. Latrun Fortress 8. The Masrek Nature Reserve  9. The Scroll of Fire and Anne Frank Memorials 10. Shvil HaErez (The Cedar Trail)

Happy New Year! I am going to start the year with my second review of 2020, my top 10 favourite places that I visited last year.
When I started writing this blog back in 2008 I initially kept it as a blog purely about my papercut art. However, I soon found out that people were interested in reading a little more about me and my life here in Israel. I started to write blog posts about my Jewish faith and many of the holidays we celebrate and about some of the beautiful places I have been fortunate to visit in Israel.
This month I will be marking 26 years living here. Over the years I have enjoyed exploring my little country, from north to south, indoors and out. Of course 2020 was like no other year. We have been in lockdown three times and were barely able to leave the house. Foreign travel was impossible, though back in February I was fortunate to spend a lovely couple of weeks with my dad in the UK, before all the coronavirus troubles really began.
Having said all that, Mister Handmade in Israel and I have made the most of it and have really got to know the area around us. From the summer onward, we hiked almost weekly, rarely driving more than 40 minutes from the city where we live. We have discovered some beautiful areas and some amazing history. I was once hesitant to hike without a guide but now we regularly pull on our walking boots and set off on a new route. I'm not saying we never get lost - of course we do - but that has been part of the fun and there have been no major disasters!

As you can see from my Top 10, the year started off with just one "indoor" visit, to the amazing "Pop-Up Museum TLV" graffiti event in Tel Aviv. Also in January, we spent a lovely day in Beit She'an with friends visiting from Cyprus. After that, everything has been about just the two of us exploring the hills and forests around us. I celebrated my 50th birthday in a national park just outside Jerusalem and in June we travelled further afield to the Dead Sea area, to spend Mister Handmade in Israel's birthday hiking at Nahal Arugot. I have blogged about many of these amazing places and more. Please click on the names above and enjoy exploring Israel with me!


20 comments:

Claire Justine said...

Looks like some great places here, Lisa. I would love to take a walk here. #MMBC

Tamar SB said...

I love seeing your Israel adventures!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I always enjoy your creative cards, but many of your trips and history posts rank up high with me. I love hearing the historical aspects and seeing ruins. When I was 12, I wanted to be an archaeologist. Please keep writing about Israel - I love it! #MMBC

Kim Carberry said...

I do reading about the places that you visit. I always find it so interesting.

NCSue said...

The mosaic in Beit Alpha is astounding - to have lasted so long in such good shape!
Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/01/classic.html

Jan (@chimptrips) said...

Looks like you have enjoyed some great birthday adventures in Israel.

Anne said...

I love your art work, but I also really enjoy your tours of Israel. I know it's never going to be a place I'll be able to visit so I can enjoy it through your posts instead. So thank you.

Joanne said...

I enjoy both your artwork and your everyday life! You found some really neat places to explore this year.

VeggieMummy said...

You have been to some fantastic places in the last year. It looks like travelling vicariously is all we will be able to do in the UK for a while - we've just gone into another lockdown. Let's hope that they roll the vaccine out as quickly as possible. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful artwork. xx

Gattina said...

You are in your 3rd lockdown ? We are in the second. What a disaster. I would like to discover more, but museums are closed and outside it's cold and wet not very inspiring for walking. I hope it will be over soon, otherwise we will all land in a mad house ! You are lucky to live in such a beautiful country. I only have seen it from far when I visited Petra in Jordan.

Tom said...

...indoor visits haven't been possible here this year and I wonder about the new year. Thanks for stopping by and I hope that you will stay safe and healthy in 2021.

Glenda said...

Good morning, I enjoyed seeing you in the pictures and getting to know you and places you visit. I can't wait to return but in the meantime have a good day.

Peabea Scribbles said...

I really admire your papercut art, and was fun to see. But, also, enjoying seeing your area as I've never really traveled. And, Jerusalem and your area are always one that would be a place to visit had I traveled. My son and wife and family visited there a few years back, and was a visit they will never forget. Thank you for sharing.

Sandy Carlson said...

Israel amazing, so rich in history and beauty. Thanks for this marvelous post.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lisa, these were such great hikes and I’ve really appreciated learning more about your Country, both its history and what it’s like today. Now I’m wondering what your weather is like in Winter and look forward to reading about that.

Emma @ Adventures of a London Kiwi said...

Wow, these are just BEAUTIFUL!

betty-NZ said...

You definitely had an interesting and photogenic year!

I'm glad you are a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

What a lovely anniverary card. It's so great that it resembles a photo of the couple! I like that! I also enjoyed you tour! Happy New Year!! (belated)

Rob+Ann @ TravelLatte.net said...

If there is any silver lining to the Pandemic, it's that many more of us have gotten to know the areas just outside our familiar front doors. There is a misconception that "travel" has to be to some far flung destination, amusement park, or other grand attraction. Turns out, we are surrounded by history, art, nature and humanity, all worthy of "travel," even if it's just a few miles down the road. Thanks for sharing your surroundings this past year!

Rambling Woods said...

I remember when my late Mother-in-law went for the first time as a birthright visit but she was in her 70's...very moving for her..Michelle

Shareaholic