Thursday 13 May 2021

A Yerushalmi Born in Beverly Hills

We had to make a dash for our safe room again last night as the sirens wailed and the Iron Dome intercepted rockets sent from Gaza. I’m very tired today but I am also trying to remember that we are the "lucky" ones, only getting up once in the night. I cannot even imagine what it is like to be living in the south. But this is a blog about my paper art. Instead of complaining, I am going to show you one of my latest creations for some light relief.
A new customer contacted me with a request for a handmade card for her husband's upcoming 40th birthday. She wanted me to show their large family on the card. "My husband always wears polo shirts and khakis", she told me. He is a Yerushalmi (a person who lives in Jerusalem) at heart, but was born in Beverly Hills. "I would love the background to look like the old city of Jerusalem, but also Beverly Hills", she wrote.
Well, it transpires that 7 people is a lot to fit on one card! I made this an extra large card, measuring 19x27cm folded. I carefully crafted each member of the family, from mum and dad down to the youngest son. They all have brown hair but, if you look closely, you will see that I matched their various shades of brown. Likewise I matched their eye colour - some members of the family have light brown eyes, others dark. Mum covers her hair for modesty and the male members of the family all wear kippot (skullcaps).
My customer also requested that I show the entire family in blue and white clothes, the colours of the Israeli flag. Her husband still had to be in his white polo shirt and she asked me to add a small Mickey Mouse insignia to the shirt, a reminder of a previous visit to one of the Disney parks.
Finally, I added two photos to the card - one of Beverly Hills, her husband's birthplace, and one of the Old City of Jerusalem.
I'm not going to lie, this card was a lot of work but my customer was happy and, I hope, her husband too!

PoCoLo

17 comments:

Tamar SB said...

What an amazing portrait!
Stay safe. We are sending love and support from America and saying tehillim for you all!

Ellibelle said...

This is so creative and beautifully done! Love how you were able to include all the aspects requested by the costumer.
Praying for safety!

VeggieMummy said...

Beautiful card. You go to such trouble getting all the details correct. I've been thinking of you a lot over the past few days. Stay safe, my friend. xx

Joanne said...

You did such a great job fitting them all onto the card and adding such cute little details like the Mickey on his shirt.

Aritha Vermeulen said...

Such a beautiful family on one handmade card. You did it. I hope the Sabbath is a quiet one for you. If not, know that there is someone somewhere in the Netherlands who is praying for you, with the psalms.

Maya Kuzman said...

You made a beautiful card! I also learned a new phrase - didn't know about the Yerushalmi :)
Keep safe!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautiful work. Seven people on 1 card must have been very challenging. Sending safe thoughts Lisa!

Thisiswhereitisat said...

Love your card. Just want to send love, it is horrible seeing all the events happening in gaza and feel helpless. I really hope something gets resolved soon. My thoughts go out to every innocent person, power is really crazy and the impact it can have on thousands x #pocolo

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I'm so glad you have a safe room and wish you never had to use it. My prayers are with you and your family. #MMBC

Anne said...

It does look hard work but you've done it really well. I have a family of seven. I'm glad you keeping safe, but sorry things are so hard at the moment. Happy Birthday, I hope you have some nice cards yourself.

Kim Carberry said...

Oh gosh, how scary for you. Stay safe.
What a gorgeous card. I love all the detail x

Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) said...

What a beautiful card. I do love all the little details and I'm impressed at managing to fit seven people on one card. Things must be very scary where you are. Keeping you and all those affected by the conflict in our prayers and hope that you stay safe. #MMBC

Jayne said...

Beautiful card Lisa. I love how you have managed to fit all seven family members on.
Keeping you all in our thoughts over there. Stay safe. xx

Lydia from Lydia's Flexitarian Kitchen said...

I love the Mickey detail and all the care that went into making this one of a kind card. Stay safe!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Sending safe thoughts and hope for a solution. The card is beautiful.

restlessjo said...

I honestly don't know how to follow you, and that's the problem. With most comments I can simply click on the Gravatar or the comment itself to get to the blog but Blogspot doesn't allow me to do that! So sorry for the disruption that has again broken out in your part of the world. So many wrongs will never make a right! Take care of yourself and hopefully one day peace will be possible. :) :)

Fancyingfrance said...

That is an epic card!

Have been thinking about you and your family and hoping that you are all ok. #pocolo

Shareaholic