Wednesday 19 May 2021

The In-Laws

A customer asked me to make a birthday card for her mother-in-law. The lady in question is clearly a lot of fun! Her daughter-in-law sent me a photo of her wearing pink sparkly Mickey Mouse ears and plastic glasses. She wanted me to recreate it in paper.
I carefully cut out the plastic glasses and pink ears. I added the buttons on mum-in-law's top and included the mirror on the wall and the Shabbat candlesticks on the sideboard that I could see in the photo.
"Great card. Brilliant likeness." my customer wrote to me when she saw the card. 
The same customer needed a card for her father-in-law too. He loves to watch tennis on the television, particularly when players like Nadal and Federer are playing, she told me. He plays Patience, or Solitaire, at the table and enjoys Rummikub too.
I have shown the gentleman sitting at a table, playing cards which are spread out in front of him. A television is on in the background and it looks like Federer and Nadal have just finished a match. A Rummikub tile tray is in front of the television.
The greeting on the card says Happy Birthday Dad - Zeida. Zeida is the Yiddish title for "grandfather".
"I have no doubt that we will love the card... yep, we do!" my customer wrote to me once again. 
I celebrated my own birthday just a couple of days ago. Last year, the year I turned 50, my birthday was right in the middle of lockdown and though I had a really nice day, I could not celebrate it as I would have liked. Never mind, everyone said, you can party next year.
Well, one year one and Israel is recovering nicely from Covid-19. We just have the not so small problem of rockets flying over our heads at the moment! There was to be no party again but I had a lovely, lovely day all the same. Mister Handmade in Israel treated me to these gorgeous flowers and a good friend brought the balloons. Who wants a party anyway?
PoCoLo

14 comments:

riitta k said...

It is a terrible warlike situation there - take care! You look so happy on your birthday photo. So does the grandmom on your card!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love that lady and I've never met her - but I feel like she is just so fun looking at your cute card. The gentleman's card is great too. Let's hear it for in-laws.

Tom said...

...wow, 83 years, that's fabulous.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Happy belated birthday Lisa! The cards are wonderful. Adorable mouse ears! Stay safe. I am glad to hear Israel has at least improved with COVID.

Joanne said...

Happy birthday! You made some very lovely cards. That mother in law looks like she has great personality.

VeggieMummy said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Love the photo with the balloons. Fingers crossed that you can have that party next year! A fun mother-in-law? Sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me! :O) xx

Himawan Sant said...

Happy birthday to you, I wish you lots of happiness and health.

Both of your cards are beautiful, they will be very happy to receive them.

Greetings from Indonesia.

Tamar SB said...

She just looks like the life of the party!!

restlessjo said...

Sorry the celebration had its down side but I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday. I've tried to respond to your comment earlier in the week with no success. I can only say I'm sorry for the situation and it isn't so easy to be well informed on the outside. I wish there was a solution, Lisa, and I'm sorry to have given offence.

junie-Jesh said...

Happy belated 5-0-! Glad you took it all in stride. Have been following the whole rocket thing - scary, but of course hat is their purpose to intimidate! Have great respect for Netanyaho (sorry for spelling) and his brazen comment about planning to build onto the Temple mount. That will teach 'em:). You are in the prayers of MANY in the usa! Jesh

Aritha V. said...

I love the old lady on the card. Well done. It is "fantastisch".

And happy belated birthday. Love your photo. I bought the same sort balloons for my son in March: silver and gold.

Lalka Crochetka said...

I love the happiness enchanted in your cards <3 everytime I see it somewhere I have no doubt it is made by you :)

Stephanie 139a said...

Happy belated birthday - I've been thinking of you with all that's going on, take care and thanks for linking up with us at #PoCoLo

NCSue said...

That looks like a sassy lady at 83 years old - her personality comes through your card!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/05/make-hay-while-sun-shines.html

Shareaholic