Monday 12 July 2021

Turning My Greeting Cards Into Wall Art

Naomi asked me to make a card for her mum's 71st birthday. She sent me a delightful photo of the two of them, taken when she was a little girl in the early 80s. She also told me that mum is keen on amaryllis and sent me a photos of some beautiful blooms that mum has carefully nurtured.
I faithfully copied the photo of my customer and her mum, adding the red piping on the little girl's collar and the rather retro pattern on mum's blouse. I even added a spot of blue eyeshadow above mum's blue eyes, just like she wore it in the era in which the photo was taken! Finally, I cut out some of the red amaryllis and added a big blue 71 to mark mum's age.
It seems that mum liked her card! Her daughter recently posted this fabulous photo on Facebook. "Look how awesome my mum's special handmade cards look framed." she wrote. Her mum has been saving all the cards that I have made for her over the last few years and had them beautifully framed, above.
Her daughter joked "Mummy, does this mean I can't get you [one] for 72 as you have no space?", to which mum replied, "Don't worry! I shall frame all future ones, until I am 100 years old!"
Mum cleverly scanned the message from inside each card and attached it to the back of the frame.
Sometimes people comment to me that they don't send greetings cards anymore. This just shows me how much my cards are often treasured. Seeing them all together in one frame really made my day!
JENerally Informed

14 comments:

Catherine said...

How lovely to see all your cards in one frame, that's such a special keepsake :o)

I still send birthday cards, but not as many as I used to. One of the main reasons is the cost of postage, it often costs as much to post a card as it does to buy it!

#MMBC

Kim Carberry said...

What a wonderful card and the whole collection turned into wall art looks fantastic. Such a great idea. x

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

The framed cards are a beautiful reminder of love and art. I personally am sad so few people send real cards through the mail. I love getting mail.

Anne said...

I think it's true that people don't send cards so much anymore. I think handmade cards are truly special and I love that your recipient has framed her cards. I remember my boyfriend buying me a big card for my 18th birthday, and my Mum bought me a frame so I could have it in my bedroom.

Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) said...

How lovely to see your cards framed like that - they are all so beautiful with all their little details though that they deserve to be framed. I love how you've really captured that love between a parent and child in the 71st birthday card. #MMBC

Miss Val's Creations said...

How sweet! What a great idea your customer had turning your cards into wall art.

Tom said...

...you sure put a lot of thought into your cards!

laurensparks.net said...

I love this so much. How special.

NCSue said...

What a beautiful display! You have such talent!
Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/07/happy-birthday-love.html

Claire Justine said...

Great card, Lisa. I love that they are kept in a frame :) Thanks for joining us at this week's Creative Mondays #CreativeMondaysLinkUp

VeggieMummy said...

They look fantastic together in a frame. Brilliant idea to scan the messages too. xx

handmade by amalia said...

Well deserved, Lisa! You are a wonderful artist.
Amalia
xo

Thisiswhereitisat said...

Oh wow what a lovely idea and your art looks fab on the wall x #mmbc

Sum of their Stories said...

Isn't it just the best when people really appreciate something you've made. (I'm not surprised people love your cards though!

Shareaholic