Monday 9 August 2021

Recipe Cards

The very talented Ella of Ella Bakes got in touch. She had an idea that she wanted to discuss with me. Her sister was moving out and she wanted to get her some baking items and write her a recipe card for several favourite recipes. She wanted to know if I could make the blank cards for her to write each recipe on. 
She had ideas of me decorating each card with a little paper version of each of the baked goods she was writing the recipe for. She was happy for me to come up with a suitable design. "I just want them to be beautiful and I know that's what you do!" she wrote 😊. There were to be seven cards, each one A5 (148 x 210mm) in size.
The first card I put together was for challah, the plaited bread typically eaten on Shabbat and Jewish holidays. I made my own little paper versions, adding little packets of yeast and flour and some eggs to the design.
Next up was Rocky Road, which I believe is similar to the Tiffin Cake that I love to make. This time I cut out a teeny tiny chocolate bar and some marshmallows, then created some yummy looking pieces of the milk chocolate, biscuit and marshmallow filled treat.
Ella wanted to share with her sister how to make the very best chocolate chip cookies. I crafted some tiny cookies and added a wooden spoon, spatula and an oven glove to the design. The cookies looked good enough to eat!
Next came brownies, those moist and gooey baked treats! I created a paper version of the square cookie (the brownie is classified as a bar cookie rather than a cake) and added a whole tray of it too. Some chocolate squares added the finishing touch.
Pizza was also on Ella's list. I had fun creating some paper versions of the Italian dish, adding toppings of cheese, tomatoes and pepper. I had the most fun creating this tiny pizza cutter, below.
The last two recipe cards were for Amsterdam cookies and crêpes. I initially thought that Amsterdam cookies were somewhat illicit but it turned out that I had got it all wrong! They are actually stuffed cookies with a surprise nugget of white chocolate hidden inside. These cookies are best enjoyed warm while the centres are still melty. Yum! I added the flag of Amsterdam to this recipe card. It depicts three Saint Andrew's Crosses and is based on the escutcheon in the coat of arms of Amsterdam.
The recipe card for crêpes, below, showed a triangular folded version of the pancake-like pastry drizzled with chocolate. I added a mini frying pan, eggs and flour, just some of the ingredients needed for these delicious thin treats.
Ella was very excited to see the finished cards. I was concerned that all the little paper creations might not be so suitable for kitchen use, but she said that she didn't mind the cards looking worn after time, it shows that they're loved! In the meantime she is going to put them into clear plastic wallets, in a binder, so that they can be taken out and admired.
"They look amazing. Thank you so much!" she wrote to me. I hope that her sister enjoys using each card. So much love went into them!

14 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

wow - love the recipe cards - giving recipes is a great idea. #MMBC

Anne said...

You never cease to amaze me with your talent. What a wonderful idea, perfectly executed. I would love to receive a gift like this.

Tamar SB said...

These are so fun!

Kim Carberry said...

Those look fab! What a great idea making recipe cards. x

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Those are so absolutely adorable -- If I were your client's sister I would want to frame each one and use them as kitchen decor. (I would photocopy the recipes for my box.) These cards are way too beautiful to get as messy as my recipes do -- but maybe (hopefully) her sister is neater than I am... most people are actually ! ))) I smiled and understood your fear about the Amsterdam Cookies ... When we arrived there, our taxi dropped us in front of the small hotel we had booked and the first thing I noticed was a banner in the window with those three red "X"s on it. I was sure we'd somehow reserved lodging in the -- um -- interesting (!) part of the city. (I did soon learn about St Andrew's crosses and the flag while we were there and the Hotel was fine -- unique, but not in "that" way!!!

Julie said...

I really love your recipe cards.

VeggieMummy said...

What a brilliant idea. I made recipe books for my girls when they each went to uni but they were nowhere near as pretty as your cards. I foresee you having a new business line! xx

Sum of their Stories said...

Beautiful really IS what you do!

Miss Val's Creations said...

These are so fun! Great details. The recipe cards will surely get passed down to the next generation. Now I am curious to try some Amsterdam cookies!

thisiswhereitisat said...

These are fun X #mmbc

NCSue said...

How clever! You are so creative!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/08/some-gentle-wisdom.html

Ann said...

Such detail on these recipe cards! Very creative - Thank you for sharing at Party In Your PJ's.

Jayne said...

I love these recipe cards Lisa. Could this be a new addition to your wonderful work?! xx

Joanne said...

These are beautiful!!

Shareaholic