Thursday 5 August 2021

The Medals on His Chest

The customer who ordered this anniversary card for her husband also wanted a birthday card for her dad. She sent me a photo of the smartly dressed gentleman and asked me to base the card on that picture. The medals dad is wearing all mean something, she told me. I needed to get them just right! In addition, dark chocolate and weights were requested in the background.
I have shown her 87 year old dad wearing his black army beret and proudly displaying his war medals. I carefully cut out photos of each medal for accuracy and then added the relevant colour ribbon. Above his medal is a red poppy, the enduring symbol of remembrance of the First World War. Poppies are worn as a show of support for Britain's Armed Forces community and are sold in honour of Remembrance Day. The flowers were a common sight on the Western Front and grew on the battlefields of Flanders, flourishing in the soil churned up by the fighting and shelling.
My customer was thrilled with her dad's card. "The card is fantastic. Absolutely amazing!" she wrote to me. I have made many cards for young men and women about to enter the Israel Defence Forces, but this was, I think, my first for an old soldier.

PoCoLo

14 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

that is a fabulous card with the medal details - indeed order is important

Tamar SB said...

What a beautiful card! Love all the little details.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Such a handsome card! Making a chocolate bar must have been a fun challenge!

R's Rue said...

What a stunning card. So well done my friend. Hope all is well.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Sharon Wagner said...

Wonderful details. Great job.

Linda S said...

such a special card! I love visiting and seeing your creativity :)

VeggieMummy said...

What a special card. I especially love the medals. I inherited my Grandfather's medals when he died and cherish them as I know how proud he was of them. I bet the old gentleman was thrilled with his card. xx

Richard said...

Great card!

Handmade in Israel said...

"This card was brilliant!
My dad loved it.
As did my mum!!
The attention to detail was simply fantastic.
Thank you so much for taking the time to get such a true likeness."

Jayne said...

What a wonderful card! I love the details of the gentleman's medals and the bar of chocolate. Such a beautiful card Lisa.
(Thank you for your service Sir!).

Thisiswhereitisat said...

This is so sweet x #mmbc

Joanne said...

That card is such a wonderful tribute! Pinned.

Stephanie 139a said...

So much detail - I bet it really was appreciated. Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

Fancyingfrance said...

What a wonderful card for a very special gentleman!

Shareaholic