Monday 20 December 2021

The Colours of Christmas

Last year my Christmas cards were green and red, the colours which are traditionally associated with Christmas. Green represents the evergreen plants, like holly, ivy and mistletoe, which have been used for thousands of years to decorate and brighten up buildings during the long dark winter. They also reminded people that spring would come and that winter wouldn't last forever! Now the most common use of green at Christmas is of course Christmas trees.
Red is the colour of holly berries, which is said to represent the blood of Jesus when he died on the cross. Red is also the colour of Father Christmas' robes.
This year I decided to recreate a previous design of mine, this time using a different colour palette. I chose blue, purple and white, based on some patterned paper I found.
The colour blue is often associated with Mary, the mother of Jesus. In medieval times blue dye and paint was more expensive than gold! It would only be worn by Royal families and very rich people. Mary was often painted wearing blue to show she was very important. Blue can also represent the colour of the sky and heaven.
Purple is the main colour of Advent, the period before Christmas, when Christians fast and repent in anticipation of Christ's birth. Purple symbolises royalty, luxury and is used in many churches for the colour of the altar cloth.
Finally, the last two colours I used on my cards were white and silver. White is often associated with purity and peace in western cultures. Winter snow is of course white as well. I added some sparkly silver baubles. The use of silver at Christmas all started with tinsel. Back in the 17th century, in Nuremberg, Germany, thin strands of real silver were used in trees to reflect candlelight, as they used to put real candles in their trees. Nowadays, silver is associated with prestige and sophistication.
* This post has been shared on The Good. The Random. The Fun.
JENerally Informed

23 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love your Christmas cards and the colors used. Blue is my favorite color. I really think simple is best sometimes and the design is very appealing.#MMBC

Michele Morin said...

Color carries so much more than just visual enjoyment. It's wonderful that your cards are both beautiful and meaningful.

Kim Carberry said...

What pretty cards. I love the colours that you have used x

Ellibelle said...

What a beautiful set of Christmas cards! Love these colors and really great design!

hels said...

Because half the world is very hot in late December, I love the colours of nature at that time. Blue for the sky and oceans, green for the grass and trees, and white for the summer flowers.

I wish you a safe, healthy and peaceful new year.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The cards are beautiful and I enjoyed learning the meaning of each of the colors.

Tom said...

...all colors are the colors of Christmas.

Joanne said...

What beautiful cards! I often use blue and white and silver to make my Christmas cards but pick snowy/ snowflake designs.

Ruth said...

Beautiful cards! I really enjoyed reading about what each colour represents.

Catherine said...

These are beautiful - I love the colour scheme :o)

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

#MMBC

EricaSta said...

Wonderful... Merry Christmas - I hope your days are blessed.

Little Wandering Wren said...

What lovely cards - how nice to meet you via Our World Tuesday and to follow you on social media. Happy Holidays!
Wren x

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Wonderful cards, Lisa, these and the last year's ones!
Also today, before reading your post, I was thinking I can't really decide if I like more the warm red and green ones or those with blue, silver, white... Indeed they make us think of a winter night with snow and stars... and Glory in the highest to the God of heaven!
Season's Greetings! Stay safe and well!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful cards!! I love the blues and purples for Christmas - its adds to the whole beauty of the season!

Sharon Wagner said...

Great color combo. Happy Holidays and safe, crafty New Year to you!

Tarja K/Ruusu-unelmia ja villasukkia said...

Kauniita kortteja ja pidän todella paljon korttien väreistä. Hyvää joulua!

Lovely said...

Beautiful cards! Love the design and the colors used.
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Johanna Bradley said...

They're lovely, Lisa! Merry Christmas to you and a healthy, happy 2022.

thisiswhereitisat said...

Gorgeous cards for Christmas. X #mmbc

Create With Joy said...

These are beautiful! Stopping by from Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy to wish you a wonderful New Year!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Unique color schemes for the cards. History helps justify them well. They are beautiful!

Mami Made It said...

Beautiful Christmas cards! The colors complement each other perfectly. I wish you wonderful and peaceful holidays. Enjoy these days of the year :)

VeggieMummy said...

Gorgeous cards in beautiful colours. Just catching up on the blogs that I've missed - we've been in Jordan for 9 days; I waved to you across the border! :O) xx

Shareaholic