Monday 15 April 2024

Daniel, Ro'i and Missiles in the Sky

On Saturday night Iran shot roughly 300 ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and suicide drones from its territory into Israel. This marked the first-ever direct attack on Israel by the Islamic Republic, triggering air raid sirens throughout the country. We had a sleepless night listening to the fighter jets overhead and wondering what was going to happen to us. It's been a rather anxious few days. But I want to continue sharing my art here, in an attempt to normalize my life. I hope you enjoy two of my latest cards.
The last birthday card I made for Daniel showed him playing the piano. His mum said that he still plays all the time, so it should be the main theme of this year's card too. It was up to me to come up with something different!
Daniel's mum sent me a photo of him at the piano. She said that the beige sweatshirt he is wearing is his current favourite (last time it was blue!). She also asked me to add his soccer (football) boots, some car keys (to show that he drives) and a big 18.
I showed Daniel sitting at the piano, making music. Some car keys, with a little white car on the keyring, are next to him, and his black soccer boots, with the pattern on them accurately copied, are in the foreground. A big orange number 18 marks his age.
Mum wrote to tell me that "[The card] was a wonderful success. He loved it and really thinks it looks like him!".
Daniel's older brother, Ro'i, turned 23. Mum wanted me to show him with his grey rucksack and sent me a photo of him on his travels. Now back in Israel, he has gone back to rehearsing monologues for theatre class, she told me, so asked me to add a notebook or paper with the word 'monologue' on it. Finally, Ro'i's girlfriend is called Maya, so I added a red heart with her name in it.
A big blue number 23 marks Roi's age.
* This post has been shared on The Good. The Random. The Fun.
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

10 comments:

Anne said...

I can't imagine how difficult life must be for you right now, I do hope that all this war nonsense is resolved soon. I'm glad you are trying to keep some normality though and your cards are so beautiful and personal. I adore the little car and keys.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Your cards are amazing with such a focus on detail! It's amazing how you can create the cards so similar to the person you are gifting the card to! I can't imagine how scary it was to be attacked by Iran. You are all in our prayers!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Your family and Israel have been in my prayers. I'm terrified just thinking of those missiles. AS always, I love your art. God bless!

Catherine said...

Thinking of you and y<our family, Lisa, it must be very scary listening to fighter jets flying overhead.

#MMBC

VeggieMummy said...

I'm glad that you have this amazing creative outlet to distract you from these difficult times; it must be absolutely terrifying. You and your family are very much in my thoughts. Stay safe. xx

Kim Carberry said...

I saw the news about Israel and did think of you. I hope you and yours are staying safe.
What lovely cards! x

Joanne said...

These are just lovely! I continue to think of you and your family and friends and pray for their safety.

Jennifer Wise said...

Your cards are just amazing. What treasures for these two boys! Wow. I am glad everyone was safe during this attack, and I continue to pray for all of you. Visiting from the Crazy Little Lovebirds linkup.

Jayne said...

I can't even begin to imagine how scary it must be for you Lisa.
I'm glad that your art gives you some normality amongst the chaos. Stay safe! xx

Stephanie said...

Lisa, you have an amazing talent for creating intricate details. Receiving a personalized card made by you is always a special experience. Thank you for sharing your creation at The Crazy Little Lovebirds link party #34. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Stay safe.

Shareaholic