Thursday 20 August 2020

15, 16, 17

A new customer found me on Instagram and got in touch with an order for a birthday card for her son. He's very artistic, she told me, and loves his phone and his bike. He always has his AirPods in his ears as well, so she asked me to include those too. Finally, she asked me to show his hair as it currently is. So I did!
I have shown the birthday boy holding his phone in one hand and a pencil in the other. There is a drawing nearby (I took a guess at the kind of thing 15 year old boys like to draw) and some pencils and coloured paper. Finally I added his red bike. A big number 15 marks his age.
His mum said he loved the card.
Sara was turning 16. She likes baking, goes running sometimes and is a madricha (youth counsellor) in Bnei Akiva, the largest religious Zionist youth movement in the world.
I checked with her mum what uniform she wears and was told it is a white shirt, which Sara always wears with the sleeves rolled up just above the elbow. She also has a blue lace at the neck of her shirt called a שרוך הדרכה, a kind of aiguillette, which indicates that she is a counsellor.
I have shown brown-haired Sara in her white shirt. She is busy baking, with a blue spatula in her hand. Her grey and pink Nike running shoes are nearby.
Mum wrote to tell me that "Sara LOVES the card".
Yonatan was celebrating his 17th birthday. His mum asked for a card showing him wearing a light blue paper mask. In the background she wanted me to include the Lamed Israeli learner driver plate. The plate shows a white triangle pointing upwards on a blue background, with the black Hebrew letter "ל" in it, from the Hebrew למידה‎ - "Learning". She also requested the Tzofim (Hebrew Scouts) symbol, since he too is a madrich (youth counsellor). In addition she wanted me to add the symbol for כושר קרבי , or combat fitness, a fitness class which prepares pre-army kids for the level of physical fitness and military skills required of a combat soldier.
I have shown Yonatan wearing his beige Scouts shirt and his blue "coronavirus" mask. All the requested symbols surround him and a big red number 17 marks his age.
Mum loved the card.

12 comments:

Michele Morin said...

So personal and unique!

Tamar SB said...

Each is so great! You captured the B'nei Akiva shirt so well!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

each card is always a treasure for the recipient

Joanne said...

I just love these personalized cards!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Lovely cards and they will be so very special to those who receive them! Have a wonderful weekend!

VeggieMummy said...

Great cards and the one with the mask is a little bit of history! xx

Mary @over40andamumtoone said...

They are such a lovely idea #pocoloco

Jayne said...

I love how you bring the recipient to life in your designs. Another fab set of cards. x

Claire Justine said...

Great cards Lisa. So creative :)

Naush said...

Hi Lisa. Such fun cards !
I’d love for you to share your beautiful cards over at our Meraki Link Party at www.doodlebuddies.net
Much love
Naush
https://doodlebuddies.net/2020/08/24/meraki-link-party-2/

Chickenruby said...

such detail as usual and wonderful feed back from the recipients of the cards
Thanks for linking with #pocolo and hope to see you back later this week

Naush said...

Lisa, you cut this card to the T !! I'm sure the young lad would'ave been thrilled by the details in the card.
Thank you for joining Meraki Link Party at Doodle Buddies.
Much love.

Shareaholic