Thursday 14 April 2022

Max and Ben

Max was turning 18. I have made many cards for him over the years, including this one for his Bar Mitzvah, but on this occasion his auntie didn't suggest a particular theme. She did send me a recent photo of her nephew, so I decided to simply create a paper portrait of him holding up a big number 18. I added some balloons and stars as well.
"He really liked it!" his aunt told. "It looks just like him."
Ben has also received birthday cards made by me for many years. This year's card had a locksmith theme, since that's what he is currently working as, while spending time in the USA. His mum requested a USA flag somewhere on the card too.
I cut out various keys and locks and added a big Stars and Stripes to this small card. As a matter of interest, the 50 stars on the flag represent the 50 U.S. states, and the 13 stripes represent the thirteen British colonies that declared independence from Great Britain and became the first states in the US. The colours of the flag are symbolic as well; red symbolises hardiness and valour, white symbolises purity and innocence, and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice.
Friday evening marks the start of Pesach, or Passover, and my family and I will celebrate the Passover Seder. You can read more about it in two of my previous posts here and here. 'Chag Pesach Sameach', a happy Passover festival, to all celebrating.

12 comments:

Michele Morin said...

Your work fascinates me!
And as you celebrate Passover, we are celebrating Good Friday and Easter! All the best to you!

Tamar SB said...

A locksmith theme - so cute!
Chag kasher v'sameach!

VeggieMummy said...

Love the cards and the info about the US flag - I knew that the stars represented the states but not the rest. Enjoy your Passover celebrations. xx

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

The cards are both so bright and cheerful!

hels said...

Max is 18... an adult who can drive, vote, serve in the army, drink alcohol and get married :) Happy days.

Wishing a peaceful, healthy and kosher pessach for you and the family.

Lovely said...

Great work as usual! The card turned out brilliant!
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Joanne said...

Wonderful cards! My son's 18th birthday is coming up and I have GOT to start working on a card for him soon. I'm just stuck on an idea... Pinned!

Shilpa said...

I am very happy finding your page . Amazing art work

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Both cards are special and as always, I enjoy visiting you and reading your latest post. #MMBC

Treat and Trick said...

Thanks for sharing your creations, your cards are gorgeous...

Aritha V. said...

Nice work. I love your art. To make such cards is so great for you and the receiver :)

Miss Val's Creations said...

Fun cards!

Shareaholic