Thursday 3 June 2021

Under the Chuppah

A good friend in the US wrote to me some months ago and asked me if I could make a special card for her cousin in Israel who was getting married. She sent me a photo of the young couple and I suggested showing them under the chuppah, the canopy beneath which Jewish marriage ceremonies are performed. The couple practise Orthodox Judaism, so I made sure to show the bride in a tsanua (modest) wedding dress. According to Orthodox tradition women should dress modestly, so I showed the bride with a long sleeved and high necked dress. Her groom is wearing a suit and tie. I believe he actually wore a bowtie on their big day.
The Hebrew greeting on the card says "Gila and Shir are getting married". My customer sent me the greeting for inside the card as well, so I was able to pop it in the post directly to the couple rather than sending it to the US first!
My friend seemed delighted with the card and wrote a lovely post on Facebook.
"My amazing Brit/Israeli friend Lisa Isaacs is an artist who creates beautiful custom greeting cards. My cousin is getting married in Israel this month, so I ordered a custom card from her. Below is a photo of the engaged couple and the card. What an amazing likeness!! If you are looking for a special way to celebrate an occasion, I highly recommend Handmade in Israel. Lisa has a shop on Etsy (link below). She ships everywhere!"
http://www.handmadeinisrael.etsy.com

12 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oh that is so special! Mazal tov to the couple.

VeggieMummy said...

Your cards must make wonderful keepsakes of a happy day. xx

Ellibelle said...

A truly beautiful card for this special day!

Joanne said...

A beautiful card for a beautiful couple.

Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) said...

What a beautiful wedding card. I do love all the little details on your cards. Mazel tov to the happy couple.

Thisiswhereitisat said...

Such a lovely wedding card x #pocolo

Aritha V. said...

Very nice card. May the LORD bless them.

Fancyingfrance said...

Another wonderful and precious card! #pocolo

ReneeOpen said...

What a beautiful gift you have and I'm certain using it to help make their day special will be one of those special things that is remembered!

I've only ever been to one wedding with the use of a chuppah, it's a lovely tradition!

Coming to you from The Weekend Link Party!

Cloudia said...

How nice1

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautifully done Lisa!

chickenruby said...

That's a lovely way t get the card to the couple on time by you adding the message. Shame the groom wore a tie and not a bow tie, but I suspect this card has had more views than the wedding photos now anyway.

Thanks for joining in with #pocolo

Shareaholic